News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named Nth. Staffs. Regt. Sword

Mervyn Mitton

Staffordshire was big enough to be able to support recruiting for two Regiments - the North and South Staffordshire Regts.

This one is for the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the North Staffs and has the officer's initials above the forte. I am hoping that one of our fundis (Zulu word for expert) will be able to find him on a roll. I think this will date to around the Boer War (1899-1900) and they were present in South Africa - but not sure if this Vol. Bn. was with them.

One question that has vexed me - is why are they carrying what appears to be an Artillery pattern - I look forward to someone telling me it was a Regt. fad ?

Mervyn,

The 1st VB may have had its own special pattern, or the officer may have transferred to an artillery unit or the ASC and elected to simply have his sword re-hilted rather than endure the expense of a completely new sword. Have you looked into the initials at all? I will see what I can find... :)

The cypher looks like the double reversed initials ER, for Edward VII, so this is a post-1901 sword.

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Hopkins

• 2 weeks later...