News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Four Medals of Honor Returned

JPL

Here is another interesting news story concerning the Medal of Honor:

FBI honors Seattle store owner for yielding Medals of Honor

The owner of a Seattle Army Navy surplus store was honored by the FBI for turning over four Medal of Honor awards that his father purchased for the store over the past several decades. The medals appear to be authentic, created by a company contracted to make them. But the medals owned by the Schaloum family were never awarded to a member of the military. Read the complete story: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016547184_fbiaward20m.html

Jean-Paul

theres one to the 27th Maine on emedals right now and afew others......

honestly as long as someone honours the memory of the recipient then i don't see any problem with these medals changing hands over the years. As for specimens i just don't see a problem at all. The problem is the yahoos who act as though they are entitled to them when they aren't these walts should be dealt with harshly.

Cheers

Chris

Hmmmm... well, on the US Forum someone posted a thread titled: " A MOH will be stolen today".

The facts as I know then are a 27th Main MOH (the chap was originally from my town no less) was put up for sale on eBay. It was pulled after about an hour. One helpful forum member called the seller , whom he described as "confused, not knowledgeable, just wanted cash, distant relative" and was told that one eBay seller "tonyboston" was en route from Ct. to "help" with the medal. The helpful member claimed to have been told that 'tonyboston' wanted to put the MOH in a museum and was coming to pick it up.

This led to about 4 pages of responses by the US Forum membership. Things really took off when one member, apparently carrying an FBI agent's card he got at the OMSA convention, called the FBI. Also someone mentioned calling the local Boston t.v. station.

'tonyboston' turned out to be well known to a forum moderator and the thread was scrubbed. The forum mod also stated that tonyboston said he was going to help the family sell off an extensive civil war collection- for free. No mention of what happened to the MOH.

That's it in a nutshell.

• 6 months later...

Here is another interesting news story concerning the Medal of Honor:

FBI honors Seattle store owner for yielding Medals of Honor

The owner of a Seattle Army Navy surplus store was honored by the FBI for turning over four Medal of Honor awards that his father purchased for the store over the past several decades. The medals appear to be authentic, created by a company contracted to make them. But the medals owned by the Schaloum family were never awarded to a member of the military. Read the complete story: http://seattletimes....biaward20m.html

Jean-Paul

These may be some of the Medals struck by HLI Lordship industries and sold off to award collectors and flea marketeers in wholesale fashion:http://www.homeofheroes.com/temporary_files/moh_legislation.html This company had a contract to produce the Medal of Honor either as original awards, replacements or display copies. However, they produced hundreds more than needed for government stocks and sold the excess medal sets for $75 apiece.

the owner of the seattle store had these on display for many years. they were part of a large collection of medals from all over the world that he had on display at the shop. the display was clearly marked, 'not for sale'. last time i went in there, the display was still there (except for the MOH's)