News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dug Up Weapons - WWI

MG1918

Hope the moderators allow another new thread unless it belongs elsewhere. This one is on weapons discovered after 'digs'. Hopefully members can show their prized items that have either been renovated or are 'as is'. Some people hate the fact that work is done to the item but personally I have no issues with preservation, repair and enhancing cosmetically. Keen to hear all opinions!! Mark

DSC05271.jpg

DSC05272.jpg

026.jpg

Have a few more relics to show but they are currently under 'restoration' processes. If anyone is interested in a vickers MG relic pse email and I will display, but i am intentionally keeping my threads to Imperial!!! ;)

Mark

Phew at least one ally! In my limited experience Brian the item at least almost always requires some stabilising and/or further rust deterioation. I am not a scientist but some French 'diggers' use an acid to halt the rust and actually enables some pretty amazing cleaning. However that does make it go black. So unless any of the members know a way to halt decay without changing the colour I for one would love to know. My new good condition butt stock on this one will give way to a more ''used'' condition when I find one so i do understand that in terms of true representation it is false. At the end of the day the black spray paint I use (for outside gates) can always come off.

Mark

You've gone a bloody good job there Mark.

I've only ever restored one gun and then not fully, it involved making the barrel straight otherwise I leave everything as is, It was actually a gun my wife found after being bored at a militaria fair on the Somme, she wondered off down the road and came back with a joyful bundle of goodies.

Tony

Mark - you can clearly see the pitting which occured when it was buried. I wonder under what circumstances it became 'lost'. Perhaps to hide it during a retreat - or, more probably the debris from a shell burst ?

We will probably never know - however, this is an excellent subject - and leaves it wide open for old weaponry found anywhere in the World.

We must huope other members will show their pieces.

• 3 months later...

Have to say I personally lean towards not restoring but for my relics I simply add some pieces and then spray black with a metal preservative paint. Only for visual effect as this black does not look like the blueing effect. The paint can be removed, as can the other 'added' items to return the piece to ''as fond'' condition. I have played it safe on purpose. Vickers images to follow. In the pipeline I have 2 relic MG08s incoming, one on a sled and one with its trench mount and another MG08/15.

Mark

Although the many holes may give the impression of an aircraft vickers! this is definately a ground gun. The ac vickers had 3 ventilation holes on the front face by the muzzle for example. This one has the early drum sight and is an L version with its serial number visible. No unit markings though and for the British unless painted on the tripod it was uncommon to unit mark. However the Imperial Germans regularly stamped (properly stamped) their sleds with Regt markings so often these are still very visible. The relic 08/15 here has no unit markings either.

Mark

Edited by Mark Finneran

• 4 weeks later...

The vickers is for sale as it is out of theme but I have just picked up another MG08/15 main body and some parts. It was bought as a relic but on close inspection it could be rather nice. Problem is of cse all the missing 'bits' are the most expensive. As always period deactivation around 1918 was to throw away the feedblock so no suprise every feedblock (MG08 or MG08/15) commands high prices. I am tempted to pass on but would be looking for certain trades. Is there anybody out there wanting to begin their own MG08/15 project?

Mark

• 6 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Mervyn yes I am afraid another addition to the family. Again I was faced with the same problem that as a relic in its original state it was rusting and discoloured. Halting the corrosion only adds to the 'visual colours' so once it was stable I chose to use the outdoor metail railing/fire stove prerving paint. Overall it does look in decent condition, from a distance but it is pretty rough and certainly beyond restoration. Sleds and maxims are not rare enough for me to want to totally repair, and personally I prefer all original. Still quite pretty though I must admit.

Mark

Well - you are the one to say 'it looks rough' . I think you have done an incredible job and many museums would be happy to have it on display.

Where do you manage to store all of these pieces. Also, do you have to have special permission to keep them ? Mervyn

Being on a military base has its advantages so storage is not an issue and provided all laws are met, both national and military then all is well. Barrels and locks are the registered items so provided there are no means of firing then all is well. Eventually there will be a permanent home for the 'girls' but being still serving a move every 2 years is a challenge!

Mark