News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Mk.II helmet captured by German troops on Crete in 1941

Gentlemen,

this is an interesting early British Mk.II helmet captured by German troops on Crete in 1941.

Liner marked with BMB 1939. The entire helmet is in nice condition, however uncleaned.

There are several names and a number scratched to the surface of this helmet. I have a few ideas on these, though I would appreciate the help of the fellow members here, because this helmet is genuine British, and I'm not.

This lid is definetely old, same with the writing on it. There is no newly made smell on it and the colours are not removable by Aceton.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on this artefact. It's a little bit like a message in a bottle, coming to us through the times.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards;

Flyingdutchman

Hello,

Can you see the date stamped on the liner? It should be somewhere near the helmet size. The reason for asking is because the bolt and washer are usually the same colour as the helmet although they do tend to lose the paint there.

The number appears to be European, possibly German. The 'hook' on the one isn't generally seen in the UK, I'm reasonably sure a few European countries write the number 1 as seen in the photos.

I'm afraid I can't make out the names but the Z in DJ (Joe D???????witz) also appears German in that Germans, as far as I know, draw a line through the middle of a capital Z. Perhaps this was done in the UK in the middle of the last century too.

I haven't really seen many WWII British helmets but the rough paintwork reminds me of a Great War helmet so perhaps it's an old one re-worked and reissued in the 30s.

Tony

Hello,

it seems to be Joe Davidovitz.

Liner is marked BMB 1939, Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd Daggenham.

Shell has a very faint stamping 73 and 1940 below. Hard to see.

The German name appears probably as well, still trying to read.

Thanks for looking.

Rgds;

Flyingdutchman

Who were Briggs Motor Bodies ? They may have been manufactures of the helmets - however, the alternative is that this would have been for their security people. The question then becomes - how did it get to Crete ? Not sure how you find out what Briggs made.

I didn't read the whole page but half way down this was mentioned http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/briggs/briggs.htm

Beginning in 1932, Ralph Roberts spent a good deal of time in England, helping set up Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd. in Dagenham, Ford of England’s primary body supplier. It was formed in 1930 and originally operated inside of Ford’s Trafford Park plant. When Ford opened up the Dagenham factory, Briggs built a factory next door and within a few years was turning out 250 bodies a day. Briggs also attempted to try to get other British manufacturers’ business and Roberts spent a good deal of time in Dagenham, right up until the start of WWII, commuting back and forth 3 or four times a year.

See 7. here http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1960_1969/fulltext/028c02.pdf

BMB merged with Ford in 1953.

Tony

Hi,

thanks for the input. Value? It was a cheap ebay find, 210 GBP

There are more infos available, maybe helpfull, maybe not:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryType=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=8694558

The number could be a unit number?

Unfortunately I can't make out the other name, could be a German one

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards;

Hermann

Edited by Flyingdutchman