News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crank handle bayonet, what do you think?

What do you guys think about this crank handle bayonet? I have seen some pretty bad fakes, but this one look pretty good to me, it got the right look and feel to me. The blade is marked “GESETZLICH GESCHUTZT" and “DEMAG DUISBURG”.

Edited by Georg of Ohio

Hello Georg,

From your post I am assuming that you consider this a fake. Years ago my collecting passion was restricted to bayonets and I would have to say, without actually handling this bayonet, that this looks to be authentic. It is for the German Car. 98 and was made as a bayonet/trench knife combination weapon. I very nice piece.

Please let us know if this is indeed a copy as it is a very good piece of workmanship if it has been made to fool the collector.

Thanks for posting this interesting bayonet.

Regards

Brian

I have been looking for a crank handle bayonet for a while. I have learned that any time that you look at a crank handle you have to start with the fact that it is a fake and hope to find a good one. It looks good to me also, but it does not have any acceptance marks? Could it be a private purchase? The guy want 200 us dollars for it and I may go for it.

I've had a repro and original crankhandle in hand at the same time and could compare the differences. Brian is right, the copies are made to fool people who have only seen them in photos. I hate to break it to you, but this one isn't good.

The repros are very close to the originals, and I've seen scabbards from original trench knives swapped over to aid in passing the fakes off. Usually Imperial German era buttons on equipment have a star shaped design on the top of the snap button (look at canteen covers for example); the scabbard on the one you posted doesn't have the design and the button looks larger than normal. The scabbard can be switched with a less-expensive trench knife and I've seen that done.

The knife's markings on fakes follow the same general style of the originals. The stamped letters on the fakes look larger and cruder than the originals.

I sold my original crank handle a few years ago, and may still have the repro I had at the same time around somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post photos of the markings which are the most obvious signs of a good/bad piece.

Les,

Thanks for your input into this bayonet. You bring back memories of my youth, before anything was faked (except Third Reich stuff) and there as an abundance of material at good prices.

Too bad this one is a reproduction, but better to know before it was purchased. Once again the forum has foiled the fakers, you may have saved Georg some hard earned cash.

Regards

Brian

• 9 months later...

Another thing to look out for on genuine knives is an Imperial acceptance stamp on the spine of the blade near the guard.

It looks like a crown & C. The fakers have not got round to this yet.

Another report is that fake regimental marks are being put on scabbards with both the knife and scabbard covered in black paint.

Look for the shiny metal underneath.

Finally, does the metal hilt and blade look like its been about for almost 100yrs? if it dosnt, beware!

Vosper