News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd regiment of Zouaves

brianch

Hi

A long shot I know but please can anyone tell me where I may find details of a specific day in November 1914 where this regiment fought? I have checked online with SGA and the diaries for that period are not listed. I would like to try to find out specifically what they were doing, exactly where and casualties etc. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Brian

2nd Zouaves Regiment (Part of the 37th Inf Div during the entire war)

1914:

21-23 Aug: moving towards Charleroi, in Coret, Mettet and Florennes.

6-13 Sept, Battle of the Marnes: Courgivaux & Petit Morin (6-7 Sept), fights near Barcy (7-8 Sept).

15-17 Sept, the run for the sea: Bois St Mard & Cuts-la-Pommeraye.

Oct 1914 to July 1915, defensive front of the Mainoury Army: Plateau des Loges, Saillant de Quennevières.

In the latter period (which includes Nov as you request), the regiment suffered approx 1000 dead and 1,500 wounded.

Reference here Reference here

This link will take you to a (French language) PDF document detailing the day by day activities of the unit during the entire war, A fast read through on my part shows that November was quite inactive. September, October and December were hot, but the regiment mostly licked its wounds in November 1914.