News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Interesting" Red Cross Document

Dieter3

Looking for commentary on this one. A document for a donation that differs from the typical "Special Member's" documents - so why the representation of the lady's special membership medal on the document - and why a lady's medal when the person named is a man!!?? :wacky::unsure: What am I missing here? I believe that the image of the medal was also added after the fact - I don't think it was part of the original printing - see how it is off center? Seems more like an after thought or something. The only other document that I have that is close in production date to this is from Showa 35 - an actual special membership document, but there is no representation of a medal on it. Very odd, and hoping somebody can make sense of it for me. ;)

I believe that the image of the medal was also added after the fact - I don't think it was part of the original printing - see how it is off center? Seems more like an after thought or something.

The color images have always been added after... Take a close look at red cross above the text. Same kind off center tendency. Maybe lithograph was really emotional....

So I think it's a clear cut case of sex change operation and it's aftermaths ...

Your move...

Edited by JapanX

Yeah, it seems like quality really began to sag during the war years - several (Red Cross) documents that I have from this time show these kinds inconsistencies - like you pointed out, the off-center cross! The paper quality seems lower, the documents are smaller, and other things too. It's like it took many years for the quality to come back??

It was suggested that perhaps the document was the only thing they had around at the time as a blank, so it was used even though the person was a man (no, I don't think your theory was possible in this time! :lol: ), and that the medal representation, also off-center, was placed there prior to adding the recipient's info. Or this was simply a mistake!! I t could be the bordering and image was produced prior to the text being layer down? Many theories as to why.

It was suggested that perhaps the document was the only thing they had around at the time as a blank, so it was used even though the person was a man (no, I don't think your theory was possible in this time! :lol: ), and that the medal representation, also off-center, was placed there prior to adding the recipient's info.

Sounds like a legit version to me.

It is of course if you are right about the name (what your wife is saying? or is it according to her reading ;))

But the calligraphy is really nice!

Anyway, congrats! Nice one!

Edited by JapanX

Well, my wife pointed out that is was a man's name first, at least she thought it was, and she turned out to be right! She has issues with some of the really old stuff and reading kanji that are different now or no longer used, so I will often run things by an expert who can provide fantastic translations and is extremely knowledgable in Japanese military of all sorts.

She has issues with some of the really old stuff and reading kanji that are different now or no longer used ...

Who hasn't ...

... so I will often run things by an expert who can provide fantastic translations and is extremely knowledgable in Japanese military of all sorts.

Then it is really interesting document!

It looks to be a mistake. The text shows that this is an appreciation document for monetary donations, not a notification of special membership. It is true that a man's name is listed, but even disregarding that, I don't think I've seen an appreciation document with a medal illustration at the bottom. I haven't checked my documents so I'm just going from memory here (and that is obviously faulty). I'll double check if I ever have time...!

But as for the design (called mogata 模型) being off-center, this is somewhat common because the color images were applied using a technique called decalcomania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decalcomania

Cheers,

Rich

But as for the design (called mogata 模型) being off-center, this is somewhat common because the color images were applied using a technique called decalcomania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decalcomania

Cheers,

Rich

Yes, Rich is correct about decals (used to call then so back in scale modelling ;)).

The fixing quality of late ones are higher than early (but early ones are much more picturesque and delicate).

I think this is because later ones are thicker.

Especially clear you could see that in case of golden kites documents in higher classes.

Nick

It looks to be a mistake. The text shows that this is an appreciation document for monetary donations, not a notification of special membership. It is true that a man's name is listed, but even disregarding that, I don't think I've seen an appreciation document with a medal illustration at the bottom. I haven't checked my documents so I'm just going from memory here (and that is obviously faulty). I'll double check if I ever have time...!

Same here, I've never seen the illustrations used on appreciation documents - but I've never seen illustrations on any Red Cross documents except for the order of merit! They must have had a brief life. I'd be certainly curious to see any other documents with red cross medals on them like this.