News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wound Badge Evolution

JapanX

"Was going through my miscellaneous Japanese collection and ran across" (copyright © Richard LaTondre) this tiny beautiful badge (only 12 mm in diameter!!!).

This one has number 18 on reverse + mark pure silver and was issued by Kasuga branch of Association.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, what we've got here is

authentic box type 3.1

+

authentic badge type 4 (it may be 4.1 or 4.2 - please check the central kanji on reverse ;))

+

mysterious note, which is not a document.

Cheers,

Nick

Going back to the mystery of post 136 in this thread. Seller gunjinantiques is offering on ebay empty case for Ko-sho wound badge 3rd type (I supposse), and there can be seen document very similar in the quality and size to the document found in my 3.1 wound badge case type. Seller claims it is "a period note warning to the soldier that extra special care should be taken with the badge and that it will not be issued again."

• 3 weeks later...

Two exellent examples of documents for type 4.1 badges.

First one is actually for type 1.1 badge issued for Russo-Japanese War.

Issued on June 28, 1940 for retired Army Infantryman Private 1st Class Mizugami Koukichi who received wound in the battle of Port Arthur! (we saw small type document reissued for Russo-Japanese War in posts # 67-70) Mizugami was born on December 21, 1874. His wound at Port Arthur was a bullet through the bone of his leg, causing him to lose that leg.

Edited by JapanX

Next document was issued on October 1, 1941 to Army Senior Private Minoshima Mannosuke. He was born on August 16, 1913 and was wounded during the 1937 China Incident battle. He received bullet wounds to both legs, one resulting in his left femur being broken.