News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commissioners Silver Token

tjones. Thankyou for posting this picture. I think it is either one I sold from my collection - or, a similar piece. This is not

a Commissioner's Token. Rather it is a badge of office for a Constable of the Forfarshire Constabulary. It really takes the

place of a tipstaff. The constable would have worn it on a silk ribbon around his neck.

Somewhere, further back on this sub-forum, is an article I wrote. The Royal Cypher is for King George 4th 1820-1830. Mervyn

tjones. Thankyou for posting this picture. I think it is either one I sold from my collection - or, a similar piece. This is not

a Commissioner's Token. Rather it is a badge of office for a Constable of the Forfarshire Constabulary. It really takes the

place of a tipstaff. The constable would have worn it on a silk ribbon around his neck.

Somewhere, further back on this sub-forum, is an article I wrote. The Royal Cypher is for King George 4th 1820-1830. Mervyn

Thanks Mervyn. Thats really interesting to know and looks to be a rare badge. What would you estimate the cost of such a badge if one could find it? Cheers Tom

Firstly, the material is pewter - so, no bullion value. However, it is for King George 4th - wo died in 1830. 184 years

of history makes this a rare item. I would think 500 pounds ($800) - posibly more to a serious collector. Mervyn

As much as that? Same price as a good tipstaff then. Cheers

• 4 months later...

Evening all. 

I have been doing a bit more digging into the 'Silver Token'

I have found: (Met) 'Police Orders' for 11/11/1919 when they were introduced and a friend has given me a copy of the page from (the dreaded(so I am told!!)) 'General Instructions' from 1982' They both include a photo. 

In 1982 they were issued to: the Commissioner, Deputy C, Receiver, Asst. Cs, Solicitor, Deputy Receiver, Secretary, Director of the Scientific Laboratory and the DACs. Now it is only issued to the C, Deputy and Assts. (C = Commissioner) 

I will post a photo ASAP. 

Zeb