News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Scuttled High Seas Fleet Bar By Rick Research

Rick sent me a letter from the islands...so...in the interests of letting people know what he is up to...I herein transcribe it verbatim (all errors are mine).

"This stripped medal bar came to visit the island recently.

For whatever reasons, this medal bar was pulled apart. Unlike Ober-Rossarrzt Daubenkropfs' posthumous medal bar, this one is missing awards that had nothing to do with required returns after the recipient died.

First impression, as any Research Gnome will say, is that this was a General grade officers' group- with the routine Prussian Orders moved up to the neck and off the medal bar ribbons. Red backing seems to indicate that the wearer was in the army.

After prolonged and thorough burrowing in the research mines, the only two suspects that came up were........ADMIRALS! Vizeadmiral Max von Grapow's post- retirement portrait in the Biblio Admirals' biographies reveals him in wartime rank with peacetime awards: NO Iron Cross...and wearing his two foreign orders after his 1897."

(cont.) " The remaining suspect was Freidrich von Ingenhol. His portrait in the Biblio reveals him wearing "black-white" Prussian-only fashion statement awards. the medal bar he is shown wearing there matches this one exactly, right down to the reduced size centenary medal. BUT the Ordenspange in that photo, alas, was not THIS bar. The ribbons drape differently. Admiral von Ingenohl is thus confirmed as having at least one medal bar omitting his peacetime GSF3a, wearing the so-called "Prinzchen" sized 1897 medal.

While at this point it can not definitively be established that this medal bar was indeed von Ingenohl's, he is by far the Prime suspect. Assistance in hunting down additional photos of him potentially wearing this bar would be greatly appreciated.

The awards were wired in and then ripped out. While the padded Prussian officer style bow-bottomed ribbons will allow for display awards to be neatly inserted for display, it will not be possible to do anything else. Anyone thinking wicked thoughts about peeling this and having it professionally resewn, slap yourselves upside the head. It is...what it is. :(

Friedrich (von since 27.01.1909) Ingenohl was born in Neuwied am Rhein on 30 June, 1857 and died in Berlin on 19 December, 1933. He served in the imperial navy from 12th of April 1874 to 13th of August, 1915. From the date of his final promotion (Admiral zur See 15.11.13) until 2 February 1915 he was Chief of the High Seas Fleet. He was then shunted off to desk duty as Chief of the Baltic Station until he retired on 13th of August, 1915. He was too old and not suited to the demands of 20th century warfare.

Two questions: Why would someone rip apart this bar. Then, why would someone save it?"

What is left: history's ruins.

• 3 weeks later...

,,,and while we are on the subject of good Ricky, whatever happened to evil Ricky? He has been absent longer than I can remember as well. I suppose burnout does happen, especially when you are constantly being looked to for all the answers. But still, I am impressed that they are able to walk away from the ego stroking that being an authority affords. It gives you a glimpse into their nature. I say....Bravo! While helping others is most admirable, I am happy that it is not deterring them from spending their time doing what they enjoy and that will ultimately (I have no doubt) help all of us.

Chip