News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Leib Regiment collar lace

Gentlemen,

Can anyone post color photos of what the Bavarian Leib Regiment collar lace would have looked like in the second half of the Great War? I'm trying to get some repro stock to go with a sterbebild & medal group that I own. I have seen Leib Regiment uniforms recently on a trip to the museums in Rastadt and Ingolstadt and they appear to be entirely white. All help is grealy appreciated.

Jay

Hello Jay,

If you are referring to the Litzen, they changed throughout the war. It really depends on the years you are talking about. If you mean 1917-1918, then they would have been sewn directly on to the collar of the Bluse, with no backing or Patten. They would have been gray with a central horizontal red stripe (Füllung) and with two parallel white stripes (Spiegel), one above and one below the red stripe. Here is a picture from the collection of the Bavarian Army Museum at Ingolstadt. It shows a Probe example of this type of collar Litze. I have three of these in my collection to scan if you need a closer view.

Chip

litzeprobe.jpg

Edited by Chip

Hello Chip,

Thanks very much for the reply. Could you take a look at e-bay item # 130543306730 and tell me whether that is an accurate repro for this regiment? Given the scarcity of original Leib Regt. items, I'm forced to go the repro route for my group. Any further images of the original would be appreciated as well.

All the best,

Jay

• 3 years later...

Supposedly, both the officer's and enlisted Rautenborte came with either white/silver or gray/subdued lozenges along with the blue. In period photos, you normally see the white, though, the gray version was supposed to be for the field uniform. My 1916 dated Bavarian Bluse has blue/white braid. I bought original meter strips of both the officer and enlisted version while in Germany back in the 1980s.

Chip