News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAD Long Service Medal - Opinions Please

Hello Gentlemen,

I've been offered this silver RAD 12 year service medal, I really don't know too much about these. I would be grateful for any information and opinions from members. as to whether this one is original or a copy.

Best Wishes

Hello Alec,

I would not care to have the one you show. In my opinion, neither the medal nor the ribbon is original. I prefer the examples that are very lightweight and made of cupal (copper-clad aluminum). These lightweight types hold their finish well and will look almost as nice, today, as when they were made. The detail is also very crisp.

Best regards,

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the post, pictures and information, I follow what you wrote, one point could you clear up, I take it the 12 year medals copper plated, then given a silver coat. However your post is much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the post, pictures and information, I follow what you wrote, one point could you clear up, I take it the 12 year medals copper plated, then given a silver coat. However your post is much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Hello Alec,

Sorry about the confusion. Cupal is a composite material made up of about 90% aluminum and 10% copper. It is an aluminum core surrounded by a layer of copper. Not copper plate, but aluminum covered by a jacket of copper as with copper-jacketed bullets. The cupal would then be plated: bronze plating for the 4-year medal and silver plating for the 12-year medal. It is the copper jacket that allows the cupal to take the plating and stand the test of time.

Best regards,

Tom

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Hidden by M Hunter, January 8, 2012 - Seller asks that I remove his photos....
    Hidden by M Hunter, January 8, 2012 - Seller asks that I remove his photos....

Sorry to infringe on this thread but do these two look like period originals?

Is this correct?

Bronze = 4 year

Silver = 18 year

Best wishes

Matt