News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Latest addition.

Tree of life springing from two hearts, with a life-rune or man-rune.

The 'stars' are 'Achtkreuzen' rather than Hagall-runen, according to my references.

20th wedding anniversary plate ????

Naive, but nice IMHO. :)

Very nice indeed Robin, possibly a wedding anniversery.

Tha Hagall consisted of 3 staves crossed, the double cross (8 staves) refers to the compass, places of worship were surrounded by 8 stones, sticks, pillars etc. ponting to the 8 main directions N - NE - E - SE - S etc.

Very nice indeed Robin, possibly a wedding anniversery.

Tha Hagall consisted of 3 staves crossed, the double cross (8 staves) refers to the compass, places of worship were surrounded by 8 stones, sticks, pillars etc. ponting to the 8 main directions N - NE - E - SE - S etc.

Thanks!

More pix ...................

Wooden cult artifacts from the Third Reich.

The Nazis captured many Germanic symbols and customs and incorporated these, obviously at random, in their New Order cult. For the modern collector, students and scolars of Third Reich artifacts it is difficult to distinguish old from new, in casu to separate pre 1945 from post 1945, let alone older items that were not tarnished by the third Reich. Since 1945 a great number of Germanic wooden relics have been produced, and as nearly none of these were dated by their producers is almost impossible to distinguish “old” from “new”. This field of interest has not yet been widely affected by forgers, but that is only a matter of time I think.

Through the Internet and auction sites it is easy to slip pieces into circulation by advertising these as “Dachbodenfund” of “Erbestück”. Some pieces are incorrupted, other are dodgy, so Caveat emptor! The eager buyer may thus be deceived.

In the true Germanic household (sic!), it became fashionable to erect some kind of family altar, almost in Roman fashion, preferably on an old historical (family) piece of wooden furniture. This could be a buffet, a simple narrow table, but also a newly produced “Stollentruhe” (a chest according to Medieval design). Over this (covering the surface of hanging on the wall) an embroidered cloth with a tree motive and/or runes or other symbols could be displayed. This altar would be furnished with (historically designed) candlesticks from bronze, iron, clay or wood, books (Mein Kampf, or other dogmatic lectures). Sometimes these would carry as many candles as there were family members; the candles to be lit on birthdays (Geburtstagsfeier), Christmas (Weihnachts- or Julfeier), New Year (Neujahrsfeier), Easter (Ostara) etc. And also for mourning a family member perished. Any family celebration was a reason for turning to the altar. Letters from the front, photos of family members, dead or alive, were placed up or around the altar; this was meant to be the center of homely celebration. Thus incorporating the dead and the living in a central family place of worship.

Wooden (bread) plates also were placed on the altar. These originally handcrafted plates were presented to families at Christmas, weddings, births, and other highlights; mainly filled with bread, fruits, sausages or dried hams and other (home made) edible products. Also during the war this custom prolonged, wooden or earthen wear plates (specially designed for a unit) were presented by a unit’s HQ to the platoons, or otherwise by the men as a token of respect to their commanding officer. Some earthenware plates were produced in large quantities (to issue to the units) but I have also seen similar plates in metal (enameled, cast and hammered) in any size. Most of these were named to specific local units, such as “Flak”, “Pioniere”, “Bodenständige” or “Besatzungs”, “Marine-Werft”, “RAD” and other units, either in Germany or in the occupied countries. Such preparations took time, and on the front this would not have been very practical.

Also, miniature wooden chests were placed on the altars. These were miniatures of the historical “Stollentruhe”, mostly from oak, and these contained the artifacts of the family. Such as broaches, assembly pins, and other badges to be kept but not worn permanently. It was a simple performance of the family treasury, naturally containing Party trinkets. For treasured (party) documents, other chests were produced, wide enough to contain rolled-up pieces of paper such as award documents, promotions, and special awards.

Thus, the family altar was supposed to be the central point of gathering in any Germanic household, but I doubt if these intentions received a general appreciation. The artifacts may have been bought by others than the dedicated followers of the New Order, but to my understanding this was not the fact. Not even all “Partei Mitglieder” followed this proclaimed this fashion, mainly due to finances. Party membership did not include the funds to furnish such extravagancy. So it became a fashion, more or less, or as far as the purse allowed.

This practice makes these altar pieces not common, but also not rare. Many of the wooden artifacts were burned, during the denazification. Especially in Southern Germany, many have survived because the Allied Troops did not take offence from indefinable wooden plates amongst the many they found in a Bavarian homestead or such like house. That is the main reason why many of these plates have survived. But each of these was crafted by a skilled craftsman, and thus they are unique in their right. And in other respect they are the continuation of an ancient German(ic) custom.

It takes a “nose” to define post 1945 wooden arifacts from earlier specimen. But to define, it is a matter of experience and “fingerspitzengefühl”. I am not concerned with this matter, and I do not consider myself an expert on age, I am only interested in the custom and the symbolism and in my collection I have examples of all times.

To collectors I can only say that all pre 1945 plates I have noticed, were made from oak, excluding all other woods, but (!), I dare not say (exclusively) that other sorts of wood were not used. This is not a science! This has to do with history, circumstances and possibilities. Many collectors are in search for facts; well, these I cannot give.

Edited by Odulf