News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st Class Osmanie Order?...Could use some help:)

jkautz55

Okay - I have 2 issues I'd like some help with:

1.) I know it's hard to even find a picture of a 1st Cl Osmonie Order..but, I think I might have one either that or I'm just an idiot. Need direction here.

2.) I also have a few other medals each of which has a Berat. The berats act as the documentation for these awards. Unfortunately, I can't read anything on these (it's not even Turkish, it's something called Davida). If someone could help me by identifying which of the 4 attached berats is meant for this specific Osmonie Order I'd be greatful.

I have 3 Order of Osmanie medals in my possession, one of which stands apart from the rest (see picture/album)

Notice in the group shots that one has significantly more gold.

This is confirmed in the following photos (many photos are attached for further reference):

Although nearly the same size the gold Osmonie weighs 61 grams and the silver medal weighed only 53 grams.

With each medal facing forward one can see the difference in the 3 rays that fall in between each of the star points. They are bigger and are made of some sort of precious stone or gemstone (need to check with jeweler). The scene depicted on the obverse of each of the Osmonie orders are the 2 drums, although on the gold Osmonie the drums have a different pattern and a higher level of detail is evident in the artwork for that matter. The clasp mechanism attaching the crescent star to the medal is more secure on the gold version as well.

The only explanation I can think of for all of these differences is either that the gold Osmonie is the result of a tacky private sale in Italy, or it's of a different class. I should have mentioned also that these aren't counterfeit. The recipient was the Directeur de la Dette Publique Ottomans in the early 1900's (more specifically about 1901).... I have a number of documents (like the berats that I can't translate; family trees with signed affidavits, even insurance coverage documentation for taking the medals accross the Atlantic and many others.

So: Informed readers of this forum: please tell me if I'm crazy or not.

Hello ,

1 - I can not see a Grand Cross Order of Osmanie there.

2 - Looks like you have A second Class Set with Breast Star , a Single 2nd Class Cross , and a 3rd Class Cross.

3 - The Osmanie order which you called "Gold Osmanie" is a Luxury type 2nd Class Foreign made.

4 - Probably you have inside that envelopes , the "Berats" ( Award Certificates ) , but what you showed are the envelopes of the "Berats" only ...

5 - Also i can not see clearly but looks like you have there 2 Medjidie and 2 Osmanie Certificate Envelopes .

Best Wishes ,

Avsar IBAR