News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Even Truncheons are Being Faked

Nothing is safe any more ! This illustration of a British Police truncheon - circa 1880 pattern in teak - was sent to me this week by a firm in Pakistan. You will see their name is across it. I don't know what they are asking - probably not very much

- however, if I reply they will never leave me alone. Value for an original would be between 35 and 40 pounds ($60)

That old expression 'Caveat Emptor' really does apply these days.

Hello Peter.

Both came from my grandfather, who joined the police in 1914 (breaking for infantry service on the Western Front, where he was badly wounded at Ypres) and served until the mid-1950s. They don't make them like that any more! Yes .............. I'm the idiot in the middle.

Decorated truncheons have beem faked for a long time. There were some around when I started collecting about 25 years ago. No doubt Mervyn can confirm that they were about even before that.It has got to the stage that it is rare to see one that is not a fake or a repaint Ian

Nothing is safe any more ! This illustration of a British Police truncheon - circa 1880 pattern in teak - was sent to me this week by a firm in Pakistan. You will see their name is across it. I don't know what they are asking - probably not very much

- however, if I reply they will never leave me alone. Value for an original would be between 35 and 40 pounds ($60)

That old expression 'Caveat Emptor' really does apply these days.

Several years ago, following the introduction of the metal ASP baton, I had the dubious honour of burning approx. 200 standard wooden police truncheons. Half of which were unused and still wrapped in tissue as received into store from Hiatt's. Some of those that had been issued were very heavy and very old. A great shame but there was little else that could be done with them and I suspect that most (if not all) of the UK police forces did the same thing.

Dave.

Several years ago, following the introduction of the metal ASP baton, I had the dubious honour of burning approx. 200 standard wooden police truncheons. Half of which were unused and still wrapped in tissue as received into store from Hiatt's. Some of those that had been issued were very heavy and very old. A great shame but there was little else that could be done with them and I suspect that most (if not all) of the UK police forces did the same thing.

Dave.

Our Force did the same .................. I well remember when they scrapped a whole box full of dozens of Victorian belts and buckles, together with hundreds of WW1 and WW2 SC badges. There was a lot more besides .............. :( Needless to say, a civvy administrator was the deciding factor in the disposal.

The worst I ever saw was when I was first posted to Bethnal Green in London's East End. The next Station along was Commercial Street and they were in the process of pulling it down. This Station was built to help counter the fear from Jack The Ripper in the early 1880's and in the roof was every statement taken from witnesses - the public and shopkeepers at the time. The workmen took them into the yard and burnt them. The history that was destroyed through stupidity and ignorance.......

Robin - I was very interested in your Father's truncheons - a great record of service. Did he actually serve as a mounted officer ? I ask because there were three Scottish Cities that had their own Societies of High Constables. They carried long decorated staffs of office - very similar to the ones you show. Mervyn

Robin - I was very interested in your Father's truncheons - a great record of service. Did he actually serve as a mounted officer ? Mervyn

Hello Mervyn.

Both my dad and granddad served as uniformed officers ................. both ended up as Supts.

In grandad's time, there were a few mounted officers in Fife ............... he wasn't one of them, but I suppose he just purloined the long baton somewhere along the line.

It has been in our family since the 1950s ......... maybe before that.

The short baton illustrated in the first post in this series looks suspiciously like the standard issue to the Hong Kong Police from the post-war period to the present day.Much of the ancilliary equipment of the Force was sourced locally or from Asia/South East Asia.Most interestingly the bagpipes issued to the Pipe Band were of Pakistani origin.( Chinese playing scottish music on Pakistani made bagpipes marching on Indian leather in a British administered Territory of China ! )

The batons referred to were carried by Junior Officers in a leather frog attached to the right hand side of the revolver belt and fitted with either a leather strap and metal loop or more recently with a dark blue cord strap.An experiment to carry batons in a baton pocket was tried but was short lived.

Batons for presentational purposes were often fitted with a cord in black,magenta and old gold,the original Force Colours and bore a silver plate denoting the event ie Best Recruit,Best Inspector,Retirement or what have you.The batons were not of a heavy teak or walnut and could be,and were,frequently broken when used with enthusiasm.They did however take and hold a fine polish !.

Thanks 1314 - you are probably right about the HK Police using this pattern. It is virtually identical to the Victorian pattern - however, we can't check the weight for teak. Haven't heard from you for a while - have you added anything interesting ? Mervyn

When I first started making my 1812 vintage leather equipment [for reenacting], a policeman in our unit offered me a small brass stud for the bottom of the cartridge box. You know: small post with a spherical head, over whcih a leather strap or tab fits to act as a closure mechanism. He had dozens and when I asked why was told 'I took them off 3 dozen Sam Browne belts just before we destroyed the belts.' :banger: :banger: