News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major Lierau, Heavy Artillery Group Commander in Anafartalar, Gallipoli, later Lieutenant Colonel, Artillery Commander in Palestine

demir

Hi,

I recently added this picture to my collection and asked Mr. Saral's help to identify it.

He said it is most probably Major Lierau, Heavy Artillery Group Commander in Anafartalar, Gallipoli, later Lieutenant Colonel, Artillery Commander in Palestine. He said Major Lierau wears the Otoman Artillery Officers' uniform and his collar insignia is exploding cannonball which means heavy artillery used in the forts.

He also wears the Turkish War medal. I think he was also wearing the Turkish Liyakat Medal with crossed scimitars on his left breast.

My problem is: if he was Heavy Artillery Group Commander in Anafartalar, Gallipoli and later Lieutenant Colonel, Artillery Commander in Palestine, that means he had been fighting actively in the battle field. So how come he was also wearing white ribbon with red or black on the sides ribbon on the second buttonhole of his tunic. :banger:

Then there are two options: :unsure:

1. This is not a ribbon belonging to either TWM or Iron Cross II,

2. He is not Major Lierau but somebody else (and who is he?) but even then whoever he is, since he has heavy artillery officer insignia and wears TWM how come he has white ribbon (if it is not something else)? :jumping:

What would you suggest?

Demir

Edited by demir