News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Watch Officers Badge (Wachhabenden-Offizier)

Hi Guys....I'm on the hunt for a nice original (Pre 45) Watch Officers badge. I've found a couple, the best one still retaining the gilt finish has 3 prongs. Question is, is this one wartime produced. Or is the second one I've posted a better example.

Thanks in advance.....Peter

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-3147-0-27331700-1323551366.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-3147-0-24147400-1323551377.jpg

Hello Peter,

Well, you've picked a tough one to confirm as pre-45. There does not appear to be a consensus regarding the specific characteristics of a Third Reich original, as the same design was used post-45 in the Bundesmarine. The conventional wisdom on these is to let the badge's finish guide your originality opinion. Since both of the badges that you have posted appear to have a vintage look, you could probably choose either of them. In this case, originality is in the eye of the beholder. :banger:

For what it's worth, here is a scan of my badge, which resembles the second type that you have posted.

Erik

Edited by Erik Krogh

Thanks Erik...I think you're right. Possibly safer with the second type but I think I'll go for the 3 prong version mainly because it's retained its gilt finish... Interested to know what the base metal is on this one.

Nice example BTW... :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...