News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Makers of Carol II [Romania] exile award insignia

922F

Sometime ago in a thread I cannot retrieve, members discussed awards made by King Carol II of Romania while he lived in Portugal and Spain in exile. Folklore and old reports opine that Carol awarded the Orders of the Crown, Star, Bene Meriti, and Romanian Hohenzollern while in exile. A purported Carol offspring continued [s?] some such awards after Carol died.

The thread included speculation regarding insignia manufacture with leading contenders being da Costa of Lisbon and Celjavo of Madrid. EBay lot 130616822935 seems to confirm that da Costa made some insignia and provides, among others, the image below.

$(KGrHqR,!hIE7SqqvtqnBO50FqnQrQ~~60_3.JP

Sometime ago in a thread I cannot retrieve, members discussed awards made by King Carol II of Romania while he lived in Portugal and Spain in exile. Folklore and old reports opine that Carol awarded the Orders of the Crown, Star, Bene Meriti, and Romanian Hohenzollern while in exile. A purported Carol offspring continued [s?] some such awards after Carol died.

The thread included speculation regarding insignia manufacture with leading contenders being da Costa of Lisbon and Celjavo of Madrid. EBay lot 130616822935 seems to confirm that da Costa made some insignia and provides, among others, the image below.

$(KGrHqR,!hIE7SqqvtqnBO50FqnQrQ~~60_3.JP

I actually had the privilege to examine some of these items which had been left to his wife. They were the two Order illustrated and in some quantity. Those cased were Da Costa made. I have no evidence that the Star and the Crown were awarded by Carol while in exile as they were more Romanian governmental awards, The Order of Merit and the Hohenzollern Orders were both dynastic awards and as he considered himself to be the dynastic head of the Romanian branch of the House of Hohenzollern he would have felt entitled to award these decorations.

Paul

Yes, the image depicts two different Orders' insignia--one with ribbon is a Bene Meriti [aka Order of Merit] and other [pinback] is a Romanian Hohenzollern. As to grades, solid references exist but are not to hand. If memory serves, the Bene Meriti is probably a civil commander class and the Hohenzollern probably a 2nd class honor cross.

• 1 month later...