News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo of Police Officer

Hi Guys

This is my first post and it is a question. The photo is of an unknown officer who appears to be proudly displaying a Queen Victoria Jubilee medal with bar and a 1902 Coronation medal. At first I though that he may be a Met officer, but the Divisional letter appears to be 'O' with a number of 132.

I have tried to view the letter as either 'Q' or 'G' but I am certain that it is 'O' (not a Met Division).

Does anyone have any views whether this could be an officer from outside of the Met?

Thanks

Steve

PS Sorry for the image quality etc.....using someone elses computer

PC 132 \'O\'.PDF

In addition to the above, I realise that for the period in question, the officer had to have performed duty at the event, until the 1911 Coronation when the medals were issued on a Force basis. This should indicate that the officer was Met, not City, or would he have been on aide form a nearby force?

Thanks Dave

I must admit I thought that he was looking a bit old! The post card the picture is on can be dated as being between 1907 - 1915. Could he have come back for the 1911 Coronation or because of WW1? Also is their a nominal roll for these guys either at TNA or Empress Buildings does anyone know?

I am really pleased that he was a Met Office as I brought this on an impulse but my main interest is Railway Police in UK. with a sideline of Met CDV's, Cabinet and Post Cards.

I am equally pleased that I have found this site/forum and will enjoy it more and more.

Best wishes

Steve

Steve,

I would guss that the photo would date from the 1st war and he obviously saw duty at the Coronation. If you go on to the Metpol. website there is a section on history with (I think) details of where to direct enquiries about service records etc. Failing that try "googling" "Friends of the Met. Police Museum". that should point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

Dave.

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting an interesting photo. I hope we hear much more from you in the future.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for providing this information, I hope other police collectors will see it as well.

Regards

Brian

The photo is of an unknown officer who appears to be proudly displaying a Queen Victoria Jubilee medal with bar and a 1902 Coronation medal. At first I though that he may be a Met officer, but the Divisional letter appears to be 'O' with a number of 132.

Getting back to the original question:

The 'mthyical' O Div was used in 1911 for the pensioners who rejoined for the Coronation of King George V. I use that term because it wasn't a physical Divison as such but just an allocation for rejoiners. Most were in fact posted back to their original divisions. The warrant numbers they were allocated seem to continue (roughly) from those used for the pensioners who rejoined in 1902 for Edward VII's Coronation. So by 1911 they were in fact already past the 2000 mark. So could it be that it is a 0 rather than a O?

I have checked the numbers for 1902 and the number 132 was allocated to a PC William Claydon who rejoined as a pensioner on 10/6/1902 - and served with R Div (Greenwich). However he must have been stood down (because the Coronation was delayed due to the King having appendicitis) as he rejoined yet again on 07/08/1902 with the number 2433 and swerved with R Div. Whether he had already changed his collar to 0132 and didn't bother to change it again because the event was imminent I don't know. However the photo must have ben taken some time afterwards as he wouldn't have got his second medal until at least the end of 1902

If he is definitely a Met officer then that is the only explanantion I can offer. It would be nice to see a bit clearer scan of the photo.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Steve - an interesting photo - and welcome to GMIC. I always like these period photos, they show the variations in how the

uniform was worn. In the case of this one he has the whistle hanging down behind the buckle - and not in it's little pocket.

I think 'o' was kept in reserve for any new body of men who had to be raised for a special purpose.

The photo is of an unknown officer who appears to be proudly displaying a Queen Victoria Jubilee medal with bar and a 1902 Coronation medal. At first I though that he may be a Met officer, but the Divisional letter appears to be 'O' with a number of 132.

Getting back to the original question:

The 'mthyical' O Div was used in 1911 for the pensioners who rejoined for the Coronation of King George V. I use that term because it wasn't a physical Divison as such but just an allocation for rejoiners. Most were in fact posted back to their original divisions. The warrant numbers they were allocated seem to continue (roughly) from those used for the pensioners who rejoined in 1902 for Edward VII's Coronation. So by 1911 they were in fact already past the 2000 mark. So could it be that it is a 0 rather than a O?

I have checked the numbers for 1902 and the number 132 was allocated to a PC William Claydon who rejoined as a pensioner on 10/6/1902 - and served with R Div (Greenwich). However he must have been stood down (because the Coronation was delayed due to the King having appendicitis) as he rejoined yet again on 07/08/1902 with the number 2433 and swerved with R Div. Whether he had already changed his collar to 0132 and didn't bother to change it again because the event was imminent I don't know. However the photo must have ben taken some time afterwards as he wouldn't have got his second medal until at least the end of 1902

If he is definitely a Met officer then that is the only explanantion I can offer. It would be nice to see a bit clearer scan of the photo.

Gents,

I've attached above a photo of a Metpol. helmet plate issued to a reserve Constable. It can been seen that the "O" is in fact a divisional letter as opposed to a figure "0". The syle and size of both the figure and letter differs. As an aside, this sealed pattern of helmet plate was approved for issue by Commissioner Henry on 2nd November 1906. Obviously, by the time they had been manufactured and issued I suspect that it would have been well into 1908 before they appeared throughout the MPD. An excellent example of the Victorian helmet plate NOT being issued immediately following her death.

Dave.