News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swede M39 Lapel Pin Info

Gentlemen,

Happy New Year! This pin (photo) was on a surplus Swedish M39 Uniform Coat, dated 1939. It was on each lapel, measures about 36 x 21 mm. Held on by two bendable tabs on back. It is stamped thin metal (not cast). There is also a brass "1" on each epaulet.

Does the pin designate a unit, or army? I am not a collector, but becoming interested. Have a few M93s, marvelous guns!

Thanks Jonas,

It is on the collar, not lapel, my error. Any Idea as to period? WWII or later?

Yes, the swords are upwards, these came on the uniform coat. If WWII, amazing they survived storage and export.

The next uniform model - m/52 - came with gold-coloured insignia, but I'm fairly certain these m/39 badges survived for some time (the uniform model as such survived being re-made into later models with newer insignia). I have a cavalry branch insignia loitering around somewhere myself. This m/39 pattern (as well as the m/52 pattern) were slightly larger, slimmer and more "old-fashioned" - muskets for the infantry for example - than the later m/60 pattern, which were more bulky in shape.

The number "1" on the epaulets would in this case have been worn by the Svea engineer regiment, numbers survived until the m/60 uniform for the infantry, the cavalry and the artillery (some individual units would have used other badges even before), and well into the 90's for the rest.

/Jonas

Thanks again Jonas, I used a second, larger m39 coat on a recent elk hunt (Red Deer for Europeans). Trudging through snow and ice fog in the pine woods with heavy snow falling--kept me warm and dry. I imagine much like previous service. Nobody was shooting at me though, and the elk had more sense than to be out!

Now to find my dad's WWII ribbons and such for posting. Pacific theater, army, amphibious tanks, corpsman, late war and occupation.

Regards,

R

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mopsi,

Always good to understand the nomenclature. Does the "/" have to be there? I see "mXX" in US without the "/"

Regards,

Anyone else see that US captured sword of Hussein's Collection, auctioned for $15,000 US, complete with US DD 603-1?