News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New rank badge for the Garrison Sergeant Major

He is more commonly known in the Household Division as "God's unofficial representative on earth" ! The Garrison Sergeant Major of London Division has now got a new rank badge which harks back to the Victorian era. It was first worn by the present holder of this office, RSM Mott of the Welsh Guards, at the recent royal wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The badge is the large royal arms, as worn by Guards RSMs, on a four bar chevron. Initially it was thought that they could use the four bar chevron currently used for band masters, however when they tried it the chevrons were at the wrong angle to best display the badge. Hence the master tailor in Wellington Barracks made new four bar chevrons at a different angle. Only five badges were made so this is not something that will find its way onto ebay anytime soon !

It is probably the most impressive modern rank badge that I have ever seen so enjoy !

No disrespect Paul, but I am glad to see an old custom revived, instead of inventing something new.

Thanks for showing the badge, new style!

The idea to re-introduce the old badge came from the Assistant Curator of the Guards Museum, Gary Gibbs. He put forward the idea almost two years ago and it was finally approved in time for the royal wedding.

The only photos I can find with it in use are subject to Crown Copyright so I do not want to reproduce them here. However if you google William Mott in the images option there are photos of it being worn, as well as a photo of the Master Tailor stitching it onto the tunic.

A new badge has also been made for wear on the greatcoat and I hope to be able to get a photo of that later this week.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Thankyou Guy - a lovely clear picture - and what an impressive badge it is ?

I actually have a photo of the Master Tailor sewing on the badge from the MOD blog but it's crown copyright.

Guy - I agree that it would be wrong to use the photo without full accreditation - however, the Crown

Copyright was set-up to distribute material to interested people. I think therefore that you could post this

picture of the tailor - it would be interesting. Should they object - which I doubt with the GMIC credibility -

then we can always apologise - and perhaps, sacrifice one of the newer members. Mervyn

Guy - I agree that it would be wrong to use the photo without full accreditation - however, the Crown

Copyright was set-up to distribute material to interested people. I think therefore that you could post this

picture of the tailor - it would be interesting. Should they object - which I doubt with the GMIC credibility -

then we can always apologise - and perhaps, sacrifice one of the newer members. Mervyn

I'd rather not be sacrificed, but here's the picture. (Crown Copyright acknowledged)