News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Big Boobies = big medals....

Chris Boonzaier

Heh... Politics have always been, and will always be politics...

But in all fairness, I agree, some late appointees have seriously devalued this and other awards. I've seen the same in the UK with the O.B.E., in Canada with the O.C., in Russia with the Order of St Andrew... I'm sure we could go through every country in the World and find purely politically motivated nominations. I find it sad for the really deserving people that others get it solely based on connections or fame rather than real work for the nation.

Edited by TacHel

Perhaps this has something to do with the decision.

Hayek's charitable work includes increasing awareness on violence against women and discrimination against immigrants. On July 19, 2005, Hayek, a naturalized American citizen, testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary supporting reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act. In February 2006, she donated $25,000 to a Coatzacoalcos, Mexico, shelter for battered women and another $50,000 to Monterrey based anti-domestic violence groups. Hayek is a board member of V-Day, the charity founded by playwright Eve Ensler.

Since the birth of her daughter, Hayek has worked to help mothers in developing nations worldwide, teaming up with Pampers and UNICEF to help stop the spread of life-threatening maternal and neonatal tetanus. She is a global spokesperson for the Pampers/UNICEF partnership 1 Pack = 1 Vaccine to help raise awareness of the program.

Hayek also advocates breast feeding. During a UNICEF fact-finding trip to Sierra Leone, she breastfed a hungry week-old baby whose mother could not produce milk.

In 2010, Hayek's humanitarian work earned her a nomination for the VH1 Do Something Awards.

[edit]

Perhaps this has something to do with the decision.

Hayek's charitable work includes increasing awareness on violence against women and discrimination against immigrants. On July 19, 2005, Hayek, a naturalized American citizen, testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary supporting reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act. In February 2006, she donated $25,000 to a Coatzacoalcos, Mexico, shelter for battered women and another $50,000 to Monterrey based anti-domestic violence groups. Hayek is a board member of V-Day, the charity founded by playwright Eve Ensler.

Since the birth of her daughter, Hayek has worked to help mothers in developing nations worldwide, teaming up with Pampers and UNICEF to help stop the spread of life-threatening maternal and neonatal tetanus. She is a global spokesperson for the Pampers/UNICEF partnership 1 Pack = 1 Vaccine to help raise awareness of the program.

Hayek also advocates breast feeding. During a UNICEF fact-finding trip to Sierra Leone, she breastfed a hungry week-old baby whose mother could not produce milk.

In 2010, Hayek's humanitarian work earned her a nomination for the VH1 Do Something Awards.

[edit]

I dont doubt any of that.... but what did she do for France? That is the main criteria for the medal.

Don't I remember that Woody Allen and (My God!) Jerry Lewis have been similarly honored? Not terribly meaningful.

Hugh

Well, if you dont understand the Jerry Lewis award... you dont understand the French.... :-)

J.L. has a status in France that few reach.

Best

Chris

He could have avoided a lot of the controversy by making her a knight in the Order des Artes et des Lettres which is designed to reward artistic talent and performers etc !

That would indeed have been the best course of action.

Posted Yesterday, 20:28

snapback.pngHugh, on 03 January 2012 - 20:11 , said:

Don't I remember that Woody Allen and (My God!) Jerry Lewis have been similarly honored? Not terribly meaningful.

Hugh

Well, if you dont understand the Jerry Lewis award... you dont understand the French.... :-)

J.L. has a status in France that few reach.

Best

Chris

Yes, I've been aware of the Lewis adulation in France for years. I just don't understand why. At least Woody Allen makes interesting movies, and Sharon Stone is ...well...Sharon Stone, with her own unique qualifications.

H

Ahhh.... but Jerreeee mon Ami.... almost as good as Johnneeeee....

(Does Johnny Hallyday have one as well??)

He was made a Knight of the Légion d'Honneur in 1997. Considering how big he's become, he should get a promotion within the Order!

Everything is written in the article, quote " Crucially, Ms Hayek is married to businessman Francois-Henri Pinault, who happens to be a close personal friend of Mr Sarkozy." and by the way Francois-Henri Pinault was made a Grand Officer of the Legion of Honor at the same time.

Isn't life wonderfull in the land of the rich and powerful ?

Actually, the Ordre des Arts et Lettres is widely seen as more prestigious than the Légion d'Honneur, which has been devalued in recent years not so much by the nominations of pop stars, vaudevillians and other entertainers as by the sad fact that any bent businessman or businesswoman in France can gain entrance to the order by putting themselves up for it and getting to members to second them. In Sarkozy's France, where la valise is the order of the day, making a donation to presidential campaign funds and filling out the forms will usually get you the LdH. However, the A&L really has to be earned, a few of the honorific awards to entertainers notwithstanding. You cannot just wangle yourself a nomination.

My wife is a chevalière des Arts et Lettres. She could have the LdH as well, if she applied for it or got a prominent friend to apply on her behalf with two seconds. Handing out gongs to notables is a favourite PR-related activity amongst ministers and presidents in this country. Sarko himself presented the LdH to John Galliano and how he loved wandering through the guests, mixing with Planet Fashion's movers and shakers, or the fairly small number of key people invited to the award ceremony. He got a lot of good PR. And then they stitched John up on anti-semitism charges for PR purposes, so they got a lot of press mileage from him but that's a discussion for another forum altogether.