Sucker born every minute... FAKE EK Boxes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is when being honest puts one well behind the pack in the race to make money!  Wish I had the imagination and Chutzpah to do this kind of thing.  But then I'd have to sleep at night, so perhaps not.  I did, however, buy any number of old carving set boxes once upon a time just because I like old wooden boxes.  Never occurred to mew to use them for anything other than keeping trinkets in though. 'Bother!', as Pooh says. 

The insert in the lid looks good, it might be worth asking where he/she had them made, but compared to that horrible polyester velvet in the base well, that just screams fake.

I thought someone called oma (or similar?) sold them.

• 3 months later...
How about this box, commissioned by a German officer POW in Colsterdale camp, Yorkshire, England. That's if you want to believe the story.

I wanted to see how easy it is to make them so knocked it up over the weekend.

06.jpg

08.jpg

8 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hah... you have too much time on your hands!!

Time? Ha! I wish that was true but I’m always flat out, spending most days working hard trying to remember what I’ve just forgotten.

12 hours ago, Tony said:
How about this box, commissioned by a German officer POW in Colsterdale camp, Yorkshire, England. That's if you want to believe the story.

I wanted to see how easy it is to make them so knocked it up over the weekend.

06.jpg

08.jpg

How'd you do that?

8 hours ago, ccj said:

How'd you do that?

Mate it's easy.

Some card, an old box, a knife, ruler, felt and a couple of crosses to draw around.

I've now turned it into a box for cufflinks.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 09:27, Tony said:

Mate it's easy.

Some card, an old box, a knife, ruler, felt and a couple of crosses to draw around.

I've now turned it into a box for cufflinks.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

That's exactly how I do mine, the difference for me is that with many enamelled pieces they are for storage and protection only. I don't sell my pieces, old cutlery boxes are a goldmine for this sort of thing, some of mine even the boxes are homemade from bits of card, old velvet and satin. Walker and Hall, I've got a few of their boxes!!

boxes.JPG

Edited by Alex K

• 6 months later...