News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar to Saxon officer and first research

Hi everybody,

I would like to share with you my new treasure. It is a very nice Saxon officer ribbon bar.

It is composed by the following ribbons :

EK2 : iron cross 2nd class

SH3 : knight cross for St Henry of Saxe.

SA3aX : : knight cross 1st class with X of Albert Order of Saxe

SV3bX or SV3aX : knight cross 2nd class with X of Merit Order of Saxe (or knight cross 1st cl)

SA3bX : knight cross 2nd class with X of Albert Order of Saxe

EfF : Hindenburg cross

WH DA : Whermacht long service

WH DA : Whermacht long service

This combo is not unique but it is very interesting. Indeed, after doing some small research, I have found that 28 Saxon officers have received, during WW1, SH3, SV3bX, SA3aX, SA3bX and EK2. Only one Saxon officer has received the SH3, SV3aX, SA3aX, SA3bX and EK2.

Few of them were in the Reichswehr, so I can eliminate a lot of candidates. Only four names are keeping on my short list : Agricola, Friedrich Lahode and Olbricht. The only one candidate with the SV3aX is Pflugbeil, the officer who received the SH2b.

During WW2, Kurt Agricola was a Generalleutnant and has received the claps to his iron cross ribbon 2nd class. There is nothing more to add to his ribbon bar. So it could be him ! He may wear his ribbon with claps to his uniform at the second buttom.

Generalleutnant Rudolf Friedrich has received the claps to his iron cross 2nd class and the winter medal. Same as Agricola he could wore his both ribbons to his uniform.

Generalleutnant Kurt Lahode has no claps to his iron cross 2nd class (from my source) but it is not sure at 100%.

General der Infanterie Kurt Olbricht has received the claps to his iron cross 2nd class and probably the ribbon for war merit cross 2nd class.

Generalleutnant Johann Pflugbeil has received the claps to his iron cross 2nd class.

Another collector here, thanks to him (E. W) has photos of Agricola, Friedrich, Olbricht and Pflugbeil. No photo of Lahode is known for the moment.

On the photo of Olbricht we can clearly see that he has the same combo (except the claps to his EK2) than my ribbon bar. So it can be one of him before the WW2 !!!

Pflugbeil has a similar one.

I have no photo of Friedrich and Agricola showing their ribbon bar.

Have a look of this nice ribbon bar. If someone has got photos of the two missing officers, please post the photos here. Thanks

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Hello Christophe,

That is an impressive ribbon bar and appears to be in great condition. Congratulations on acquiring this treasure. :beer:

I think you can rule out Generalleutnant Pflugbeil as his medal bar is showing the Wehrmacht 25 & 12 year long service decorations where as the ribbon bar is showing 12 & 4 year long service medals.

Best wishes

Matt

could it be a general with only 12 year long service medal?

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

I would not see that as an issue. There were some Generals and high ranking officers who had only the 12 year long service medal and there were even some with only the 4 year medal.

Best wishes

Matt

Thanks for your comments, can you explain to an Imperialist how does the Whermacht long service function ? I know that officers who served in the Reichswehr were awarded long service awards but for which year ? Thanks for your explanation

Christophe

Very nice ribbon bar BUT -- this officer was NOT in the Reichswehr. He had between 12 and 17 years of service in total. Anyone with WW1 service and continuous time in the Reichswehr (1914-1939, and most entered service well before that!) ended up with more than 25 years of service.

So, unfortunately, you can rule out all of the above... :banger:

Hi,

Here are all officers who received SH3, SV3bX and both SA3 with X :

Ritt Rudolf Edelmann

H d. L. Otto Gebler

Oblt Klaus Groth

H Georg Harz

H Johannes Klitzsch

H Otto Leonhardi

Ritt d. R. Hans Lieberoth-Leden

H d.R. Johannes Monse

H d.R. Richard Mühl

H d.R. Hans Poeschel

Ritt d.R. Walter Schröder

H Gerhardt Vogel

Christophe

Ok, so the short list contains 6 names. After doing small research, I can eliminate Klaus Groth like he received the SSr2 on January 1914. So the short list has now 5 names. For the other officers, till I have the file or photo in hands I have foudn nothing more to add to their bars.

Christophe

I can exclude Edelmann, Klitzsch, Leonhardi and most probably Vogel as well. No matches in the 1939 ranklist.

It should be Oberst Georg Harz, seniority 1.4.1942, WBK Auerbach, in 1939 Major (E), #1.9.1935 at WBK Dessau.