News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Paratrooper/Airborne sweater?

I found this at an estate sale here in the USA. I would like to know what the readers think of it and perhaps ID it. It is wool but the other side of the tag says the patches on the shoulders and elbows are 65% Polyester so this may be Vietnam War era? Thanks.

paratrooper.jpg

paratrooper1.jpg

Keith - Hi. An interesting item - which does unfortunately raise a question. I hope some of our exMilitary members will be

able to help.

The question I have is that the sweater appears to have had some use - you can see the knap on the wool is not flat. However,

the flash and the sgt's stripes appear new ? Did you have any provenance when you made the putrchase ? Mervyn

NO, no history with it. It was an estate sale and was lying on a bed. It was one of those sales where if you want it you have to pick it up quick or else the guy behind you will. I didn't pay a whole lot for it so that is good. I did find out on another forum that it is "current" so that is in agreement with your assessment and I knew it wasn't too old judging by the tag. The paratrooper patch is what excited me at the time. Thanks alot for the help.

keith

The pullover looks like a pre-1980 design without the shoulder straps. Unusual to see the wings sewn on with untrimmed backing, although some fellows did it. The stripes look on the low side. The label isn't regulation. At a push, it could be for Cadet Force-issue but the label has a civilian look to it. I'd say this was probably purchased from an shop like Debora or Silverman's in the 1970s and the badges added subsequently. I don't see why a serving soldier, especially a Senior NCO, would buy a woolly-pully when indenting for lost kit would cost him less than their retail prices. We bought berets, windproofs, decent boots, bivvy bags and other non-issue kit from both Debora and Silverman's, as well as Survival Aids, but not this kind of kit. Given your location, I would say this pullover might have been bought by a US Army soldier or a US Marine, British pullovers being very popular at one point with your lads as unofficial field kit, and later enhanced by the addition of wings and stripes. As I said, I'd want to see those stripes about an inch higher. Wings should be four fingers of an average hand from the sleeve seam. Take the badges off and wear the pullover.

PK

Yes that does help me. And I think you nailed the source of this sweater; at this sale there was also a uniform and caps for a LADY U.S. Marine. I suspect now that this female marine acquired this pull-over and for some reason added the patches; maybe she had a British Soldier boy friend which influenced her designs or perhaps gave her the patches which she sewed on the sweater! Thanks for the expertise....keith