News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

“Vein” approach to dating Rising Sun Orders: a DaNgErOuS pAtH

JapanX

Dangerous and misleading mystery – this is the motto of our new thread :lol:

I hope that courteous readers remember about this easiest way to dating rising suns.

Actually the easiest way to date a 7th or 8th class Rising Sun is by using the length of the 3rd curling vein in the leaf counting out from the bottom. I have observed a few hundred pieces over the years, including a good few examples in groups or with documents where I am comfortable that they were an original pairing, and the basic rule is that the longer the vein, the older the striking.

On this piece the 3rd vein ends just at the indentation of the leaf, which would lead me to suggest that it is from the Taisho era (Siberian expedition or thereabouts). Russo Japanese War pieces have a longer vein that protrudes below the level of the indentation while China Incident era pieces are shorter and end above it.

What is interesting is that the later post war pieces again have a longer vein but they have no enamel on the reverse of the 7th class and have a different "feel" to the depth of the overall stamping.

• Replies 215
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rule

The rule is simple. It states that all you need for exact dating of rising suns in two lower classes (some collectors applied this rule to all classes) is 3rd curling vein in the leaf counting out from the bottom. Here you can see this spot.

Ok. After finding this sacrament vein all you need to do is to see where it ends (in relation to leaf indentation).

They say there could be three scenarios.

Edited by JapanX

It doesn’t look well!

The oldest order in this group our rule identified as Taisho/Showa piece.

Big mistake!!!

To say nothing about obvious inability of this rule to discriminate between Taisho and Showa pieces.

But maybe thing will be different in case of 7th class orders?

Let’s go for it!

Same depressing picture you’ll get for 6-4 classes.

By the way, it will be interesting to note striking similarity (by enamel color, manufacturing style, etc…) between later after-war specimens. Please take a look at this compilation.