News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commemorative Medal of Coronation of Tsar Alexander III

Megan

Медаль "В память коронации императора Александра III" Instituted on 12 May 1883 to mark the Coronation of Alexander III and Maria Feodorovna on 27 May of that year, this medal was awarded to those involved in organising the ceremony, those who attended in an official capacity and those responsible for security arrangements. More than one variant is believed to exist, but they may not all be official.

Type 1

This is believed to be the official medal. It is a circular bronze medal, 28mm in diameter. The obverse shows a portrait of Alexander III, surrounded by the inscription Б. М. АЛЕКСАНДРЪ III ИМП. И САМОД. ВСЕРОСС (H.M. Alexander III. Tsar of All Russia). The reverse bears an imperial crown, under which is written Коронованъ | въ Москвљ | мая 15 | 1883 (Coronation | In Moscow | May 15 | 1883).

[Picture: Yuri Yashnev]

Edited by Megan

Type 2

A 26mm diameter circular silver gilt medal with a crown suspension, the obverse bears the crowned monograms of Alexander III and Maria Feodorovna. The reverse shows a rown over an inscription in two lines - Коронованъ | въ Москвљ (Coronation | in Moscow) and the date.

Having found a non-wearable ‘souvenir’ commemorative medal with this design, this may be an unofficial commemorative made by attaching the suspension.

[Picture: e-Medals]

I have also seen a similar medal with the same obverse/reverse but a simple ring suspension, which further leads me to believe that someone was making wearable souvenirs out of a commemorative piece! (Will try to add a picture later...)

Медаль "В память коронации императора Александра III" Instituted on 12 May 1883 to mark the Coronation of Alexander III and Maria Feodorovna on 27 May of that year, this medal was awarded to those involved in organising the ceremony, those who attended in an official capacity and those responsible for security arrangements. More than one variant is believed to exist, but they may not all be official.

Type 1

This is believed to be the official medal. It is a circular bronze medal, 28mm in diameter. The obverse shows a portrait of Alexander III, surrounded by the inscription Б. М. АЛЕКСАНДРЪ III ИМП. И САМОД. ВСЕРОСС (H.M. Alexander III. Tsar of All Russia). The reverse bears an imperial crown, under which is written Коронованъ | въ Москвљ | мая 15 | 1883 (Coronation | In Moscow | May 15 | 1883).

[Picture: Yuri Yashnev]

Megan, there are three varieties of medal of which 122,000 were struck in dark bronze and were all designed by L Steinman and M. Gube, variety 1, Narrow bust with initials at base of obverse (Cyrillic L. S. R.) Cut by L Steinman, variety 2 slightly larger bust Cyrillic LS on truncation, variety 3 large bust with Steinman's signature in full on truncation, the piece illustrated is type 2. according to Diakov they are of similar rarity, it would however be interesting to compare a random sample of say 50 medals to see which turns up more frequently. A handful of each type are recorded in gold and later strikings (or novodels) are recorded in silver.

Paul

Type 2

A 26mm diameter circular silver gilt medal with a crown suspension, the obverse bears the crowned monograms of Alexander III and Maria Feodorovna. The reverse shows a rown over an inscription in two lines - Коронованъ | въ Москвљ (Coronation | in Moscow) and the date.

Having found a non-wearable 'souvenir' commemorative medal with this design, this may be an unofficial commemorative made by attaching the suspension.

[Picture: e-Medals]

I have also seen a similar medal with the same obverse/reverse but a simple ring suspension, which further leads me to believe that someone was making wearable souvenirs out of a commemorative piece! (Will try to add a picture later...)

Megan these are Coronation jetons, the crown is an unofficial addition. The engraver was Avenir Grillisches Senior. They are recorded in gold (very rare), silver and bronze (both extremely common).

Paul

Thanks for all that, Paul. So, unofficial mementos... but easy to confuse with official medals if you don't happen to know.

The crown does look a bit of a bodge. I have pictures of a silver one without crown, must get around to sticking them up. And a link to the non-wearable one that appears to have been modified to make the jeton, seeing as I found it on a coin dealer's site & do not have permission to use it!