News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GREAT 3rd class ribbon clasp MYSTERY (South traveler companion)

JapanX

And here is one for thought - it can't be precisely dated (sorry Paul, I'm already going south!) - BUT - I think it is worth showing - it has some early features - love the pink bands!! But also, look carefully at the ribbon clasp - it has what appears to be a Sacred Treasure mirror on it. Most of the pieces of which I have photos are what I believe to be later pieces, and none exhibit this feature. Sorry the picture isn't the best!

Let`s talk about this mystery ;)

Our colleagues certainly know that in case of 3rd class order ribbons we observe two variations of clasps: plate clasp and oval clasp.

Let’s take a good look at them.

Edited by JapanX

Traditionally it is believed that plate clasp belong to Meiji epoch and oval clasp to Taisho/Showa epoch.

I think that it will be right to assume that this is indeed the case.

The only question is when this change in clasp construction occurred.

Of course I don’t think that this change in styles occurred abruptly.

Most likely it took at least a couple of years or even more.

By my estimates the final and definitive change occurred somewhere between 1910 and 1920.

I think that oval clasp was introduced by manufacturers because of its greater convenience and reliability.

Obviously both orders are from Meiji epoch.

So this type of clasp may be

a) the early variation of oval clasp that co-existed for some time with plate clasp during late Meiji epoch

b) replacement clasp (and/or ribbon with such type of clasp) that was manufactured by some private workshop

Nice photos! Now we need to see more of these types with documents. Wish I could contribute to that! Somewhere, there must be written information about this design and then the subsequent changes. Somewhere.....

• 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...

We couldn’t link this type of clasp exclusively to some ribbon color style, because of this

Why the ribbon of this Sacred Treasure Order is pink? What time this type of ribbon has beed used?

Thank you!

Why it is pink?

Because one of the ribbon manufacturers violated the order statute.

Why?

Exact answer is not known.

Early ribbons for sacred treasure order had several color variations ("pink" is one of them).

For more variations see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/56125-judging-authenticity-of-ribbons/page-3

The exact time borders of "pink" ribbons are not known.

Most likely somewhere between 1888 and 1910s.