News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I wonder if you can help me with two pics of an WH Major ?

The first pic is dated 1937 on the back, and shows him with 9 ribbon bar and the second pic is later with a KVK added and some other bringing his ribbon bar up to an impressive 12 !!

The question is what does he have ?

First the full pic

And here a closeup of the 1937 ribbonbar

EK - Würt Verdienstkreuz X ?-EHK - ?? ROA peace ?? - ?? 1 - ?? 2 - 12 year ? - 18 year ? - ???

Hmm , sorry for the blurry pic , but its the bet I can do :blush:

Lets see the next one

Edited by christerd

And a closeup if the long bar

EK-KVK- Würt VK -EHK - ? - and now it looks like Police LS ? - Police LS ? -?? - ?? -?? -Hungary MM - Bulgaria MM

A lot of whats looks like peacetime awards but what is No 9 and 10 ??

Christer

Edited by christerd

That's not a police bar- that's merely a trick of the light and the REALLY RARE 40 LS year oakleaves!!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

What is key is that the two mystery ribbons #9/10 have moved "down" the bar after @ 1937, AFTER the LS medals, .........so they must be foreign/Austrian?

Aha ! Thanks Ulsterman !

So he was a really long long Service Oberstabszahlmeister ..... Hmm the 1937 pic is stamped by a photographer in Königsberg on the back which I suppose dosen´t help much.

I tried to do a super scan of the ribbon bar , but I do not know if it helps :blush:

EK II - KVK x - Würt VK x - EHK - ?? ROA IV Peace ?? - 40 year LS -18 Year LS - ?? PrKO IV ?? - ?? -?? -Hungary MM -Bulg MM

If only I had a better (bigger) photo :banger: Than we maybe could guess the No 9 and 10 ribbons ...

But Ulstermann you got the sharpest eyes yet !!

Christer

Edited by christerd

I think they are:

1st bar:

EK2, WVKX, FKE, SchlesA2, RAO4 (or Medal of the RAO), PrAEz, Wehrmacht DA25, Wehrmacht DA12, Prussian DA25

2nd bar:

EK2, KVK2X, WVKX, FKE, SchlesA2, Wehrmacht DA25, Wehrmacht DA12, Prussian DA25, RAO4, PrAEz, UKEM, BKEM

The Silesian Eagle should rank ahead of long service medals, and both bars reflect this. It was improper to wear the Prussian Dienstauszeichnung with the double Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnungen, but this happened anyway, especially among d.R. or z.V. officers. The two ribbons at 5/6 in the first bar and 9/10 in the second ought not be foreign awards, since they come before the long service awards in the first bar, and as a Beamter he would have been in line for Prussian civil decorations like the Red Eagle Order, Medal of the Red Eagle Order, Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen, and Verdienstkreuz. As peacetime awards of a former German state, they properly come after the long service awards, and the second bar reflects this. As you can see, the last ribbon in the first bar stayed ahead of those two when they moved. This makes me think that it must be another long service, rather than a foreign award or another state award.

Given the Württemberg connection, it is possible, but I don't think likely, that the ribbon is for the Medal of the Friedrich Order, awarded before World War I (and before the two Prussian awards). If so, he might have simply placed his Prussian awards ahead of the long service awards out of Prussian pride, and left the peacetime Württemberg award last. But on the second bar, he followed Wehrmacht regulations, and placed the Prussian awards after the long service awards, and in order of date of award.

:cheers: I think you got him David !

SchlesA2 makes it work , I couldnt think of any medal that suited in that place but your theory is 100 % , possible with the

medal of RAO as Karsten says. I always said that most owners of the longest ribbon bars was people far away from the front (with some exeptions of course) and it seems that this is another example of that :D

Thanks for all help

Christer

• 8 years later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 5 weeks later...