News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russians and their Lions

JapanX

Russians & Lions? Do you know of the short story concerning a provincial Russian official and a visiting Persian diplomat? S.G. Yasinitsky translated this relatively unknown work by Gogol [if I recall correctly] published in a 1960s or '70s "Medal Collector" issue. Somewhat of a predictible ordens-hunger story, but amusing. Perhaps worth reading in this thread's context. Would expect that OMSA's copyright sensitivity & Yasinitsky's intellectual property right [his apparently is the first English translation of the story--a French translation reportedly appeared in the early 1950s] prohibits the story's appeance here without permission/authorization. Perhaps another member knows the exact "Medal Collector" issue in which Yasinitsky's translation appeared.

Lol! I have read this story a few times before. Always comes up in my search for lions and suns. Thankfully it is much easier to acquire a Lion and Sun order today without groveling and A$$ kissing! However, it is the same burning desire to own a Lion and Sun medal that collectors have to this day.

Edited by Markus

Hi Nick,

Great photos! Would you know if there are any websites that have these photos or reprits available for sale?

I ask as I've just started collecting photos (original or modern reprints) of gents in bling for the very same reason. So far, all I've managed to track down are crowned heads of state.

I've also tried going through the websites of major photo houses like Getty images but am struggling with their interfaces. Very easy to search for the latest pics of Obama. Much harder to track down historical photographs.

Gavin

FANTASTIC photos!!!!!

I love that short story..."he woke in a sweat...his heart burned for a Persian Order of the Lion and Swords".......

Glad you liked it. He is one of my favourite authors. Please try out his novel "Sad story". This one is really something!

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Great photos! Would you know if there are any websites that have these photos or reprits available for sale?

Gavin, my advise - when you can and as cheap as you can :) Once I saw a photo of st. George 4th class cross cavalier goes for 1000+ bucks and since then I collect only digital photos :lol:

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Yeah, digital photos are certainly the most affordable.

I've just purchased some old Wire / Press photos on ebay at quite reasonable prices. These aren't the original photograph as such but still "historical" in that they were transmitted and used at the time. They're on thinner quality paper and fade faster than normal photographs though.

Edited by drclaw

And now something very interesting, beautiful and very russian ;)

Lion and sun order that was made by Dmitry Osipov in St. Petersburg back in 1899-1904.

Marked with personal mark “ДО” and St. Petersburg county district hallmark.

Size 78,3´60,5mm, weight 39,1 grams.

Enjoy!

And now something very interesting, beautiful and very russian ;)

Lion and sun order that was made by Dmitry Osipov in St. Petersburg back in 1899-1904.

Marked with personal mark “ДО” and St. Petersburg county district hallmark.

Size 78,3´60,5mm, weight 39,1 grams.

Enjoy!

Thanks Nick. Very beautiful! Can you give me more info on Dmitry Osipov maker? He wasn't listed in my book " Court Jewelers of the world" Period of time he was a medal maker, other order medals he made, and general reputation as a jeweler of order medals is the kind of info I like. I love the metal work on this order. The radiating lines of spherical shaped silverwork seems unique to Russian, Austrian and some German makers.

Thanks Nick. Very beautiful! Can you give me more info on Dmitry Osipov maker? He wasn't listed in my book " Court Jewelers of the world" Period of time he was a medal maker, other order medals he made, and general reputation as a jeweler of order medals is the kind of info I like. I love the metal work on this order. The radiating lines of spherical shaped silverwork seems unique to Russian, Austrian and some German makers.

Well this maker had his own private workshop in St. Petersburg and was active during (at least) 1890-1910 period.

He manufactured imperial russian orders and badges.

That`s all I have on him Markus. Not much... But this is much more than I have on next one :lol:

Lion and sun order that was made in St. Petersburg back in 1875-1900.

Marked with personal mark “Г.П.” (unknown maker) and St. Petersburg city hallmark for 1875-1900.

Please note very interesting screw style of reverse and mysterious silver "watermarks".

Edited by JapanX

Thank you Nick! Absolutely beautiful Russian Lions and Suns! The Russian Jewelers were at the top of their game in that era. Very distinctive silver work as well. It seems like there were as many unknown jewelers today as there are known jewelers. That is a lot of order making jewelers in Russia! Your threads are very informative and a joy to follow.

Markus

Please welcome full councillor of State, honorary supervisor of Tiflis Muslim (Ali ibn Abi Talib doctrine) academy Gadgy Zeinalabdin Tagiev. This photo was made in Baku back in the 1890s.

What we’ve got here is an orgy of Lion and sun orders! I believe our hero was awarded with all 5 classes of this order. Gadgy Zeinalabdin Tagiev (1823-1924) was azerbaijani millionaire and philanthropist. He was one of the most famous and respected oil magnates in Russia and in the whole world. Oil industry businessman, mill owner, factory owner, fishing businessman (he controlled practically all Caspian fisheries), ship-owner, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... Back in Iran he owned several caravanserais and in Moscow four-store palace…

By the way, naturally all russian orders that you see at this photo are “non-Christians” (these babies will cost you a little fortune nowadays ;)).

In the right upper corner of the photo we see the autograph of our hero together with date (1320AH=1902AD).