News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

10th Royal Hussars

Hello there and thanks for the ad. Reason I have joined is my Great Uncle was in XRH in WW1, His name was Charles Carratt*, He was killed in Ypres 23/10/1914.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1605960

I have a photo of him in dress uniform and the letter from the King on his death.

I am Ex Army myself and have got involved in the local Re Enactment Society. I want to bring Charles back to life in a way and portray him as if he would have survived and gone on to serve in the XRH.

So I'm trying to find out service dress, insignia and details that would be handy to me. The period I'm portraying him in is around 1944 after the North Africa campaign. Hes was injured in Africa and sent home as trainning staff at the rank of RMS. SO Uniform details and insignia around these dates. 1st Armoured Div. I have these insignia sorted.

Any help welcome. Thanks.

* I have the same name.

charles03.jpg

letter01a.jpg

letter02a.jpg

Hi Borg - welcome to GMIC. That's a pretty good diguise you've adopted - will have to see if Forensics

can remove it ?

He would have been eligible for the 1914 Star - there is a picture of a group presently on Brit.Medals. I am sure some of

our uniform collectors will be able to help you with the details you need. Mervyn

I thnink he woulkd have had at least 'Pip Squeek and Wilfred' and a wounded medal. Maybe somethng for something in between the wars and then some for WW2 , but not the ones that where issued after the end. That would be silly :)

• 5 weeks later...

This is a link to a Gale & Polden Postcard of the XRH, and the uniform changed little after the Great War;-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-10th-PRINCE-WALESs-OWN-ROYAL-HUSSARS-Gale-and-Polden-Postcard-/160705110502

I have also seen XRH jackets for sale on that well known auction web-site, but they ain't cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,sorry im side tracking a little, i have a group from a major wgs cadogan who was in the 10th. he was kia just a few weeks after your great uncle, i wonder if they served together! by the way how are you getting on with your project ? regards cadogan