News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War Victory Cross

Hi all,

This medal just sold on ebay.com for just under $2000.00. It peked my interest and I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of the medal, or perhaps I should be calling it an order, and something about its history, how many grades it comes etc.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

this is not Czechoslovakian medal. This is an order of Slovakian independent state from years 1939 - 1945 called War Victory Cross.

Maybe little bit of history. In 15. March 1939 Czech part of Czechoslovakia was taken by nazi Gemany and connected to the Third Reich as a protectorate Böhmen und Mähren. Day before, on 14 March 1939 indepentend Slovakian state was proclaimed in Slovak part of Czechoslovakia. This Slovakian state was ally of Germany and Slovakian army fought with Germans on Eastern front against Soviet union. After the Second World War was this two parts again connected to Czechoslovakia.

So, your example is War Victory Cross 2 nd class. During its history regulations was several times changed. At the start of issuing, there was three classes, from year 1943 there was eight classes ( Grand cross and seven normal classes ) of this order. It was military order and which class would be given depended on rank of the awarded soldier. I could be given to the foreign soldier too. To soldiers from Axis alliance. This is only simplified version of system of ordering, it was little bit complicated, with many changes during time.

So this is rare order and mainly in Slovakia are these order from Second world war time wery popular and prized.

Here are photos of this order with rare original box from the internet.

1305105263_P1060317.JPG

and the second floor of the box with miniatures.

1305105263_P1060319.JPG

Regards

Ondrej

Ondrej,

Thanks for the response. I thought perhaps this was from the Slovak State but since the name of the area changes so often its difficult to know what to call something. Perhaps as I get more knowledgable about Czech/Czechoslovakia/Slovakia etc I'll know what term to use. Because of thsi problem, it is common for English speaking collectors to refer to everythng from this area as "Czech". Whether this is right or wrong is not really important to the collector. Just a commonly done thing.

Thanks agaon for the information on this award. It looks very interesting and when I can find time I'll try to do more research on it.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon, it is very easy. Term Czechoslovakia means Czech republic and Slovak republic together, in Federation (1918-1939 and 1945 - 1992). Before those dates both states were in Austrian monarchy for nearly 1.000 years. After 1992 they are quasi independent states, that in fact obey the rules of European Union.

That period 1939 - 1945 is very important to differ between Czech republic that became Bohmen und Mahren protectorat and Slovak republic, that became (again quasi) independent state.

Militaria of Slovak state (39-45) are very rare and priced, because Slovakia had only two divisions on Eastern front.

Slovaks are typical "morale soldiers". When Germany was winning, they were fighting very bravely (Slovaks, together with LSSAH seized Rostov na Donu, Slovak pilots flew in JG52 together with Hartmann), but when war fortune changed sides, they were mass deserting.

Czechs are typical "nichtkämpfers". I call them slavic Italians, hehe. Last time they fought during 30 years war, and their "promo" at Biela Hora, 1620 was disaster. During ww2 they were working for the Reich, enjoying bismarckian social system (with rents and retirement) implanted there by Reinhard Heydrich. His assasination (prepared by London, not by Czech resistance which in fact didn´t exist) is well known, less known is the fact that there was spontaneous mourning demonstration for Heydrich´s support, that 30.000 people attended. First and very funny Czech "Uprising" started already at 5th of May 1945, when Hitler was already dead for a week.

Another interesting details:

1. Slovakia is the first and only German ally to begin the war already in september 1939 against Poland.

2. It is less known fact, that war movement in fact started in Slovakia, in 26th August 1939, when division Brandenburg received the "halt ordnung" very late and was already engaging in Jablunkovsky Pass.

3. There are three Knight´s crosses awarded to Slovaks. First two were given to commanders of Slovak Army (gen. Malar and gen. Turanec), third one to the Slovak volunteer in waffen SS, Gustáv Wendrinský from SS Florian Geyer Division. With 41 confirmed tank kills, Wendrinský was the best anti tank gunner of ww2 (called "cruel dog from Pressburg"). He died during breakthrough attempt from Budapest encirclement.

4. One of the recipients of the Slovak War Victory Cross was also infamous Oskar Dirlewanger. I am posting photo with Slovak award on the neck, under the Knights Cross.

Regards.

Finally you´ve found one info which is not clearly defined, and created opinion that it means all other my info is trash. But in fact, this was the only moment in my long essay, that you could slightly doubt.

We were talking about 20th century history, so I shortened the long and complicated history of two different states in the (for now) irrelevant medieval past to the diplomatic term nearly. I know, for Slovakia it is totally and for Czech lands less than half of it, but in this case it doesn´t matter if you want to explain basic differences of 20th century history to the foreigner.

Look, before you start with your "no regards", it would be good to know, that 90% of my info about Czechs is from czech sources. I am enjoying mainly Martin Krystlík, and his Zamlčené dějiny I., II. (Hidden History). He belongs to the few authors that are not happy with funny heroical legends and damages the official myths - myths about Munich 38, about protectorate, about expelling the Germans, etc.

Regards gentleman.

• 2 years later...

The order on Ebay was replica, not original.

What do you think of this one? And what makes you say the one I posted originally was a fake? I understand that originals should be marked with the silver content and the statement mark. Where should these two marks be located on the back of the award?

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think of this one? And what makes you say the one I posted originally was a fake? I understand that originals should be marked with the silver content and the statement mark. Where should these two marks be located on the back of the award?

Regards,

Gordon

Must have overlooked this topic.

Anyways - is this your piece?

utopis,

No this is not my piece. I was trying to buy it and asked my question because I was unsure as to where the markings should be on the medal. I had read that the two markings on these pieces were supposed to be on the base of the eagle as shown in one picture below. What I was trying to do with the vendor was find out what the marks were on the back of the medal on the two projections at the top. Also shown in a picture below. I was unable to get good pictures of the markings on the back of the medal before the vendor sold it to someone else.

Do you know what the markings on the back of the medal are?

Regards,

Gordon

• 5 years later...

Gentlemen,

I would like to bring my thread back to life again with some new questions.  Now that I think we are reasonably certain as to the correct markings on the War Victory Cross that came with a ribbon lets move on the Order with a chain suspension.  Does anyone know if the Order with the chain was made by the state mint or was it made by a private firm.  Here are some pictures of one with a chain suspension with different markings than the one with the ribbon suspension.  Really interested in your comments thoughts.

Regards,

Gordon

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG