News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canada - Proposed Defence of Canada Medal (Cold War)

Here we go again.

Found this interesting news article:

The MP for Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing re-introduced her Private members Bill that will create a Defence of Canada Medal (Cold War) in the House of Commons today with support from Thunder Bay-Rainy River MP, John Rafferty.

“Its purpose is to formally honour the people who defended Canada from within Canada for the period from 1946 to 1989,” said Hughes. “It is intended to be awarded to individuals who served in the regular and reserve forces, police forces, emergency measures organizations, as well as civil organizations such as St. John Ambulance, all of whom were concerned with the protection of Canada from the threat posed by the countries behind the Iron Curtain.”

The medal was conceived of by Elliot Lake resident, Ulrich Krings, who presented Hughes with a detailed proposal which she brought to the House of Commons in the last parliament.

Read the complete article here: http://www.carolhughes.ndp.ca/post/hughes-tables-bill-to-honour-cold-warriors

Here is the link to her Private Member's Bill for the creation of this medal: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Docid=5270504&file=4

Jean-Paul

IIRC this is the second time this member has introduced this bill. Most Private Member's Bills don't end up making it all the way through the legislative sausage machine to become law unless there's significant government support for the idea.

I like to think of this proposed medal as the NDP (Canada's lefty weanie political party) finally coming to its senses and wanting to formally recognize the good job that huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons did to maintain peace throughout the world. ;)

Edited by Laurence Strong

JP, for years they talked about a NORAD clasp for the SSM but nothing ever came out of it.

Frank,

I saw an early "classified" draft of the proposed regulations for the SSM and initially, there was a NORAD bar included in the regulations. This got my interest, as I was at that time posted to a NORAD unit. But as you know, when the SSM was established, the NORAD bar had disappeared. Would be interesting to see why it didn't make the final draft.

Jean-Paul

I figure only personnel from operational CF-100 and later CF-101 squadrons and radar stations (and old BOMARC units) would've received it. Must've been a few old transport command generals on the board peeved at not being up for it so they killed it...

There is something to be said about recognition for the "scope dopes" who worked the Pinetree, Mid-Canada, and DEW Lines. While the R.C.A.F. did its best to create little communities, most bases were miles from anywhere.

I fully agree. As a member of the CFB Moose Jaw volunteer band (years ago!), we'd get bussed way up North to play for them, usually for Oktoberfests... Some of those places were quite desolate to say the least...