News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kimberley Town Guard - Boer War

mdunster

I am looking for information regarding the Kimberley Town Guard. My grandfather was in the 10th Hussars and served in Sth Africa, he has 6 campagne clasps for service with the 10th but also appears on the Kimberley Town Guard medal honors roll. There is no clasp on his medal for this however I have the official papers showing his service and award.

Does anyone have either photos or details of the Town Guard?

Thank you.

Lowden J W 3860 Private QSA (6).

Source: QSA medal rolls 10th (The Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars Lowden J W Private QSA (1)

Source: List of QSAs with the clasp Defence of Kimberley Kimberley TG

This is where I go the details from, as you can see 6 for service with the 10th and then 1 for service with the Kimberley TG! So should he have a clasp?

There is one listing on the Cavalry roll as follows:

Lowden,J.W.,3860,Private,10th Hussars,Paardeberg,Dreifontein,Johannesburg,Diamond Hill,Wittebergen,Relief of Kimberley.

There is one listing in the book Kimberly Siege Account and Medal Roll as follows: (Note: there are 2 Lowdens listed)

Lowden, J.W., Kimberly Town Guard, QSA with Defence of Kimberly, No. III Section, D Company. Water Supply, Inspecting Mains

also

Lowden, J.H., Kimberly Town Guard, QSA with Defence of Kimberly, No. 6 Redoubt

These two men cannot be the same man as some of the battles on the 10th Hussars QSA took place before the Relief of Kimberly......

How could he have gotten the Defence and Relief of Kimberly bars at the same time.....

I think that it is two different men who just happen to have the same name.... Or should I say initials...... No way to tell without actual enlistment documents.....

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

There are many Lowdens (and he was related to most of them) but only one Lowden with the initals JW which stands for Joseph William. I am certain that my granddad is the person on both of the medal rolls.

When he arrived in Sth Africa he was immediately deployed to the Kimberley Town Guard which was made up of soldiers from many different battalions as well as sivilians. He later rejoined the 10th Hussars following the Relief of Kimberley.

I have found the answer to my question on the Anglo Boer War web site, thank you QSAMike, where it states in the description of the medals and clasps...

"In addition, it was noted that:

1. No individual can have both the defence and relief clasps for either Kimberley, Mafeking, or Ladysmith."

Thank you all for your help. Cheers.

mdunster

If you would like to know more about the Siege of Kimberley, I suggest to buy or borrow a copy of the following book:

Kimberley. Siege Account & Medal Roll. by David J Biggins. Token Publishing. 2010.

Regards

Brett

• 8 months later...

Hello Graham......

Can you give us the name of your G.Grandfather as I can look him up on the Kimberly Star roll..... There was a total of close to 5000 stars issued in silver and only two in gold to the Mayor of Kimberly and R. Archibald of DeBeers.....

Suggest you put a post on our sister forum: http://www.angloboerwar.com

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

• 3 months later...

HI MDunster, my relative also served in the Kimberley Town Guard, his name is on the image you posted, surname Kimble Unfortunately I cannot read the comments field to see where he returned to or what he was employed as. Any chance you can write and tell me what the last column on the right says or better still post a bigger & clearer image. He is 9th person from the top. Alternatively can you tell me what site you obtained this image, it not on the Anglo-Boer War.co, site, nor on Ancestry.com (and all it's associated records). I couldn't find it on the National Archives in Kew either. Please help

Regards, Rob Kimble