News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nanking Puppet Government - Order of United Glory

drclaw

I recently picked up a Nanking Puppet / Wang Jingwei Government Order of United Glory, 4th Class, in its original case. I've been hunting for one for awhile so this was a lucky find.

"The Order of United Glory was instituted in 1943 by the puppet government following the Japanese invasion, and was awarded to Japanese officers and to Chinese collaborators who distinguished themselves in activities for the Japanese Government. Following the Japanese surrender in 1945 most of the insignia of this Order was destroyed." (reference: Spink)

It is missing the ornate pendant suspension and ribbon. I'm having a replacement suspension by a local jeweler but I'm struggling with the ribbon colour. There's very little by way of published information on this Order. From the limited sources I've managed to find, the ribbon colours are:

* Special Class - red with white border

* First Class - white with red border

* Third Class - red with two dark blue stripes set a centimetre or two in from the ribbon edge

* Sixth Class - dark blue with two white stripes set a centimetre or two in from the ribbon edge

Is anyone familiar with the ribbon colour of the Fourth Class?

I am thinking the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Class may have the same ribbon (dark blue with two white stripes).

This would be similar to the Nationalist Government Order of the Precious Tripod which has the following coloured ribbons: First Class (blue with white border), Second Class (white with blue border); Third Class (red with two dark blue stripes - similar to the Third Class United Glory); Fourth to Sixth Class (dark blue with two white stripes - similar to the Sixth Class United Glory).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Because of the lack of information on this medal I am republishing an article that I wrote for the OMSA website a while ago:

Edit postReport this postReply with quote Re: Order of United Glory - 4th Class

by USMCGungHo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am

Some Ambiguous Chinese Orders

When James W. Peterson wrote his dissertation “Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States”, it immediately became the ‘bible’ for many collectors as it was the first and probably only, scholastic treatise on the subject and also became The Orders and Medals Society of America’s Monograph Number 1. Some material that he had written on the subject was omitted for the final printing and in order to bring to light his views on some more or less controversial awards, I have decided to publish these notes that dealt with this subject in the hopes that it may clarify some of the ambiguity involving some awards such as The Order of United Glory, Order of the Brilliant Jade, Decoration to Japanese Comrades, and Peaceful National Commemoration Medal.

The notes that follow below are in Mr. Peterson’s handwriting:

Reorganized National Government of China

Following the Japanese invasion of China in 1937, local administrations were set up in the Japanese controlled areas of China. The Provisional Government of the Republic of China was established 14 December 1937 in Peking and the New Reformed Government of the Republic of China was set up in Nanking on 28 March 1938. On 30 March 1940, these governments were merged into the Reorganized National Government of China under the traitor Wang Ching-wei. This regime claimed to be the true national government of China, and used the Kuomintang flag. On 9 January 1943 this government declared war on the U. S. and Great Britain.

Order of United Glory

Tung-Kuang –Hsun-Chang (the translation is my own JWP)

According to one source, this order was established 14 March 1943 in a special class ans classes 1 thru 5. According to a Japanese encyclopedia, it was established 5 March 1943 in 9 classes “to commemorate the return of the national government to Nanking on that day.” Another Japanese reference book gives the date of establishment as 25 February 1943.

The order is of typical Chinese design and manufacture, as is the sash and also the presentation case, which is of brocade silk. It is very rare in any class.

The badge of the Special Grand Cordon has a 5 point star in white, in a red ring bearing nine gilt stars, in a blue ring with nine white clouds, on an 8 point star of narrow rays, on 8 large double-pointed rays enameled alternately and it is suspended from a gilt cloud design which is suspended from a gilt ball-tipped 5 point star. The sash is 100mm unwatered raw silk(?), red with 19mm yellow edges. The breast star is (blank) mm, gilt, and has a (blank) mm silver 5 point star on white in a red circle bearing 9 gilt stars, in a blue ring bearing 9(?) white clouds on an 8 point star of 32 double-pointed, white enameled silver rays, superimposed on 8 large double-pointed gilt rays enameled alternately blue and white, and with (blank) rays in the angles.

The badge of the First Class Grand Cordon is 82mm, heavily gilded, and has 9 gilt stars on a red medallion, in a blue ring with 9 white clouds, on an 8-point star of narrow beaded silver rays, on a larger 8-point star of narrow beaded silver rays on a larger 8-point star of narrow fluted gilt rays,, and is suspended from a gilt cloud design which is ib turn suspended from a gilt ball-tipped 5-point star. The sash is 100mm unwatered of the usual Chinese type, red with 19mm white edges. (Another specimen has been seen which has the sash of the Special Grand Cordon). The breast star is 93mm of the same design as the badge without the suspension.

A lower class badge, probably the 3rd class, is 79mm gilt, similar in design to the First Class but with only 7 stars on the medallion, and has the same cloud and star suspension. The reverse has characters giving the name of the order.

Order of the Brilliant Jade

Tsai-Yu-Hsun-Chang. It appears that this order, which was established 2 December 1933 by Nationalist China, was adopted and awarded by Wang Ching-Wei’s regime, and probably for this reason seems to have been suspended after 1943 by the Nationalists.

According to a Japanese encyclopedia it was the 2nd ranking order, to Chinese only with classes to foreigners without class and different ribbons; in 9 classes, the 1st class with red and white ribbon, 2nd class white and red, 3rd class blue, 4th class red, white and blue, 5th class white, red and blue, 6th class red, white and blue, 7th class blue and red, 8th class light red, and 9th class the Military Order Pao-Ting.

The Military Order of Pao-Ting (Precious Tripod) was established by Nationalist China in 1929.

Decoration to Japanese Comrades

This decoration which was probably awarded by Wang Ching-Wei’s government, is a 57mm silver 12 point star of 60 narrow rays on which is superimposed a smaller 12 point star on 72 red enameled rays, and in the center of this is a man’s head, full face in silver on silver, in the center of a blue and white Kuomintang sun emblem (as on the Nationalist flag). The reverse is plain, with in the center an inscription in 4 vertical lines of characters, “National Government, Japanese Comrades assistance, China Nationalist foundation commemorative medal, conferred by Chief of State.” The badge is suspended by a ring on a 33mm watered ribbon of equal blue/white/red, on an ornamental 4 x 41mm silver clasp. This decoration is very scarce.

Peaceful National Foundation Commemoration Medal

These very rare medals should also probably be attributed to Wang Ching-Wei’s government. The medal is approximately 36mm silver, circular with an ornamental figure on each of the 4 sides and in the center a monogram of 4 characters on a blue medallion which is encircled by a silver wreath and an ornamental border. The ribbon is about 36mm of red plush silk with a bue and white Kuomintang sun on a blue circle in the center. At the top of the ribbon is a silver clasp with seal characters “Peaceful National Foundation Commemorative”. A lower class is in silver and gilt without enamel on a plain red, plush ribbon with the same clasp.

A medal which was probably awarded by the government is about 50mm of dark bronze, with on the obverse a blue and white

Enameled Kuomintang sun encircled by two sprays of flowers. The reverse has an inscription. The ribbon which was made made in Japan, is 37mm watered of equal purple/white/red/white/purple.

JWP

I believe that Mister Peterson was faced with a dilemma. Are these truly Chinese medals, or are they Japanese medals that were given to the Chinese by the Japanese Occupational authorities? What is the answer?

USMCGungHo

OMSA Member

Private messageWebsite

Thanks for posting this Richard.

I've never seen a "Decoration to Japanese Comrades" or "Peaceful National Foundation Commemoration Medal".

As Peterson notes, these must be extraordinarily rare.

Neither have I. I think these medals need a little more research as well as the Order of the White Eagle, The Order of the Golden Lion, The Order of Bravery (also known as the Chang Tso-lin Order/Wu Pei-fu Order). I will go back to the 'old notes'

Richard

• 2 years later...

Here's an exquisite cased First Class and Second Class set to be auctioned in Hong Kong. Images from Poly Auctions.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-50624200-1396649723.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-86017300-1396649744.jpg

An exquisite Third Class set on YJA with original case, neck ribbon and ribbon bar.

This is one of my favourite medal designs. No visible verdigris on this example so it may have been cleaned/polished.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-25219900-1397302268.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-90963000-1397302303.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-89124600-1397302323.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-11721200-1397302348.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-94565600-1397302365.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-21370900-1397302383.jpg