News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A long shot but I would be greatful of any help identifying these Army uniforms. Picture taken between 1902 - 1910.

Hi. It’s a long shot as the pic isn’t very high quality therefore the detail is not very identifiable. The photo is thought to be my great great grandmother with her two sons. They were from Lanarkshire Scotland and the woman in the photo died in 1910.

I wondered if anyone could identify the regiment etc of the two soldiers.

I received this photo from some American cousins who are trying to get a better scan. If that happens I will post that as well.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Brian Cunningham.

Hello Brian!

Another long shot, but... For the man on the right: The Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry?

As far as I know, Glasgow and Lanarkshire are just around the corner from each other, so there is a geographic possibility as well. The regiment was known as The Queen's Own Royal Glasgow and Lower Ward of Lanarkshire Yeomanry until 1914 (according to Patrick Mileham's "The Yeomanry Regiments").

/Jonas

Edited by GRA

Having had another look at the picture; the badge on the chest of the right man, isn't that a badge that territorials who volunteered for overseas service in case of war wore? I might be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but I somehow connect this badge with territorials/volunteers, not regulars.

/Jonas

Brian,

This photo can date no earlier than Dec 1914 and probably later. The man on the left is wearing a Simplified SD jacket pattern sealed in Dec 1914. In addition his belt is from the pattern 1914 Infantry Equipement. It also looks like that man is wearing Pioneer Collar badges which would place this photo later in the Great War.

The man on the right is wearing what apppears to be a morning button and he is a Territorial.

Can't make out cap badges but once the man on the lefts Cap badge is determined finding out which Battalion in that Regiment served as Pioneers would be relatively simple.

Sorry but this photo dates to much later than you think.

Joe Sweeney

Thank you all for your comments. The levels of expertise that you guys have in this area is astounding. If it is indeed 1914 or later the person in the picture is certainly not who it is supposed to be. Curioser and curioser !!

The pocket badge the guy on the right appears to be wearing is the Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge awarded to those members of the Territorial Force who were prepared to serve outside the United Kingdom in defence of the Empire. I think that this would date the photo post 1912 which ties in to what Joe was saying.

• 1 month later...

Brian

Just found this thread, presumably you know the full names of your distant relations and so a check for their medal index cards in the National Archives may help to confirm the Regimental badges being worn.

Best regards Simon