News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Not a good recruiting poster

What is the ribbon on his chest ?

Unfortunately, even the Police can be infiltrated. When I was at Bethnal Green a young constable on another Relief

had a lot of problems with his wife - she couldn't cope with the odd hours. He finally decided she had to 'go'. He had

a m/cycle he used to come to the Station on and this was parked in front of the Victorian house where they had a small

flat.

His original plan had been to throw a plastic bag over her head and suffocate her. Didn't work as she struggled - he then

stood back and tried to brain her with his truncheon. This didn't work either - so he finally hung her over the hall

bannisters. He then dug a hole in the middle of the back lawn - watched curiously by the neighbours at 4 a.m. on a dark

morning. He then moved his m/cycle over the grave and covered it with a tarpaulin - goodness knows where his mind was.

When the police arrived at dawn the grave was a neat pile of earth. I have his Cape brooch in the collection.

Paul,

He is the infamous John Reginald Hallyday Christie. If you want to know the story and watch a proper grown up scary movie you need to watch " 10 Rillington Place " starring Richard Attenborough and John Hurt.

The house is gone and the road renamed but I can vouch that people still look for it.

http://youtu.be/5u4J87ke1Mg

Maybe depending on your politics you could say this chap is infamous but I wouldn't agree. This was prior to a bit of military service where he was badly wounded though at this time a serving Policeman.

2nd from left top row

Paul,

He is the infamous John Reginald Hallyday Christie. If you want to know the story and watch a proper grown up scary movie you need to watch " 10 Rillington Place " starring Richard Attenborough and John Hurt.

The house is gone and the road renamed but I can vouch that people still look for it.

I remember my grand parents lived very near #10..... And my Grandmother tells a story that after Christie left the house a Jamaican family moved in and started to do some renovations......

She states that she was visiting a friend in Rillington Place when a body was found and now using her words: "That Darkie came running out of the house screaming his head off and he was As White As A Ghost"......

They always called it #10 or Christies....

Mike

Mike,

If you ever see the Movie that scene is restaged when the new occupants who were Carribean find a body and the man hunt begins!

I also joined the Police with a lad who's Dad was a copper before him and was the arresting officer of Christie which again is shown in the film.

Craig

Craig......

Another story is that Christie was a Special during the war and one night during the blackout Christie came up beside my Grandmother and said: "Is everything OK Mother, can I walk you home....." To which she replied that she was just a couple of doors down...... Of course long before they knew about the murders...... Not to sure how true this one is.....

Yes I have seen the movie......

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
    • 6 years later...