News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

As I mentioned earlier, good cousin Rick had a good day in Boxboro.

This is one of the CDVs he grabbed for less than a double mocha latte' vente at Starbucks.

Again, through the magic powers of research and a rather odd combination of state awards- it took him a whole hour to identify this guy- unnamed, photographed sometime between Isandulwana and the Spanish-American war. Originally an NCO, through hard work and diligence he was one of the few who managed to break the solid class walls of the German officer corps and rise to higher officer status. He was dead before Germany entered the nightmare of 1914. He lived his life is great times, as the Empire consolidated and Germany went from being a series of poor, disconnected farmlands to a mighty industrial world power. He must have been proud.

Meet Zahlmeister Buehring (I don't have an umlaut on my keyboard program), Mecklenburg Jaeger Battaion 14 @ 1879-1887.

Georg Buehring born Feb. 27, 1825 in Roggendorf, Mecklenburg- Schwerin. After a long NCO service in the artillery (Oberfeurwerker in 1860) he was commissioned as a Zahlmeister on December 1, 1863 into FAR 9.

He was not listed in the 1872 Meck.-Schwerin Staats-Kalender since his Zahlmeister posting was in the Prussian army until 1879. He was an NCO until 1879.

There were only SIX Schwerin Zahlmeister posts at that time.

To 1887/88 Rank list Zahlmeister in Mecklenburg Jaeger Battalion 14 a D. as Char. Rechnungsrat.

He was NOT in the 1908/09 Ordnungs-Almanach, but alive in 1905 as per the Prussian Ordensliste-

His medal bar shows-

1. Mecklenburg-Schwerin Wend. Crown Silver Merit Cross (awarded between 1879-1883)

2. CO 4 : 18.01.1879

3. Prussian AEZ in Silber (Oberfeurwerker) : 19.09.1860

4. Mecklenburg 1848/49 campaign medal (1879)-how rare is that!

5. BADEN 1849 campaign medal (served in Denmark above and Baden here).....Baden's "thanks for the help M-S troops!"

6. Prussian 1866 Cross-noncombatnt.

7. Prussian 1870/71 in steel on noncombatnt ribbon (served in France)

8. Meck-Schwerin Military XXV service cross

Schwerin Staatklaender Lists campaign medals, but Rick has none between 1872-and 1906

Zahlmeister FAR 9 from 17.12.68 in JB 14 from 18.06.72. Rechnungsrat in Schwerin in 1891, from the "History of the FAR 9 (1891).

Note the stupidly odd "Italian" style loop suspension requiring "straight" ribbon drapes, disturbing the "hang" of the medals.

Buehring took part in 4 wars and never received ANY MMV2!

Special Thanks to Glenn!!!!

Crappy scan is my fault- sorry chaps.

In fact, let me clarify my above statement: the Zahlmeisters of the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Contingent (like the Saxons) additionally wore the white piping on the lower edge of the Waffenrock collar. Certainly up to around 1890 the Zahlmeisters of the Mecklenburg-Strelitz contingent wore in complete contrast to just about every other contingent (apart from Braunschweig), a dark blue, red piped Waffenrock with yellow buttons and epaulettes and Brandenburg cuffs.

Regards

Glenn

From what I have:

Bühring received the Charakter as a Rechnungsführer on 29.9.1884. He was given the Charakter as a Rechnungsrat on 17.9.1905.

He was awarded the Verdienstkreuz in Silber on 19.3.1889 as a Rechnungsführer a.D. Based on his entry in the 1905 Staatskalendar, he later received the Verdienstkreuz in Gold, but I don't have a date.

He was awarded the Verdienstmedaille in Silber on 20.2.1883 as a Zeugfeldwebel a.D. Since that is before the Verdienstkreuz, shouldn't that be on the medal bar?

Besides the Verdienstkreuz in Gold, the 1905 Staatskalendar also shows the Gedächtnismedaille für Friedrich Franz III. For some reason, the Staatskalendar entries all say Prussian Militärehrenzeichen rather than Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen. The 1866 Erinnerungskreuz is not included in the 1905 list, but it does show up in earlier ones.

Here is the 1905 Staatskalendar entry, where he is shown as a member of the supervisory committee of the NCO Widow's Fund. He is not in the 1906 Staatskalendar.

These entries are:

Verdienstkreuz in Gold

Verdienstmedaille in Silber

Gedächtnismedaille Friedrich Franz III

Militär-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse für Unteroffiziere

Prussian Kronenorden 4. Klasse

Prussian Militärehrenzeichen (typo for the AEz ?)

Baden Gedächtnismedaille für 1849

Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Danner

Dave,

He was awarded the Verdienstmedaille in Silber on 20.2.1883 as a Zeugfeldwebel a.D.]

are you sure you have the right Bühring? Georg Bühring was a already a Zahlmeister (Bestallung from 1. 12. 63).

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Dave,

are you sure you have the right Bühring? Georg Bühring was a already a Zahlmeister (Bestallung from 1. 12. 63).

Regards

Glenn

I believe you are correct.

There appear to be two Bührings - both armaments NCOs turned Rechnungsführer with the Verdienstkreuz in Silber and in Gold. The problem is, no Staatskalendar or Regierungsblatt seems to have both. One dissapears, the other appears, then the first reappears.

Oberfeuerwerker Bühring was named to replace Rechnungsführer Siefke as Rechnungsführer der Artillerie on 30.11.1863. As Zahlmeister, he is was awarded the Verdienstkreuz in Silber on 1.6.1871. He was transferred from the Artillerie to JB 14 on 6.7.1872. He received the Verdienstkreuz in Gold on 19.3.1887.

Bühring II is a Zeugfeldwebel a.D., but no idea when "i.D." He gets the Verdienstmedaille in Silber on 20.2.1883, character as Rechnungsführer on 29.9.1884, Verdienstkreuz in Silber on 19.3.1889, Verdienstkreuz in Gold on 19.3.1895, and character as Rechnungsrat on 17.9.1905.

So here is the problem: which one is the Bühring in the Staatskalendar? In the 1878 Staatskalendar, Zahlmeister Bühring of JB 14 is shown with the MVK2, PrMEZ/AEz, Baden Gedächtnismedaille, 1866 Cross and 1870/71 KDM, and Mecklenburg DA. The Bühring in 1905 has the same awards, except the MVK2 is now an MVK1, the 1866 Cross isn't listed, and the KO4, MSGMFFIII, and MVM2 are added.

So, either (1) Georg Bühring is the one in the 1905 Staatskalendar and did get the MVM2 at some point, or (2) Bühring II not only followed Georg Bühring in getting the MVK1 and Rechnungsführer/Rechnungsrat characterization, but also followed him in serving in 1849, 1866, 1870/71 and getting the KO4, PrMEZ/AEz, and the Baden medal. Or the editors of the Staatskalendar somehow managed to mix the two of them up. Two different people with the same name and almost identical careers?

Color me confused.