News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI English Tank

Just using my amazing newfound superpowers to post this German photo of an English tank, presumably out of commission. Hopefully someone will take the ball and run with it.

IPB Image

Looks like a teeny weeny picture, but click on it and watch it grow :cool:

Edited by Tom Y

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Bob is 100% correct, the Germans produced 18,000 tanks (give or take) of all types from 1939 to 1945, whereas the Russians produced 55,000 T-34s alone. The US produced 51,000 Shermans. In short we buried them under material!

Gary

byf, I don't know if they learned that lesson at all. They were cranking out 100 Tigers a month to the Russian's 1000 T-34s. No doubt how that one would sort out over time.

Bob is 100% correct, the Germans produced 18,000 tanks (give or take) of all types from 1939 to 1945, whereas the Russians produced 55,000 T-34s alone. The US produced 51,000 Shermans. In short we buried them under material!

Gary

Hi all

You have to add the numbers for the various type's of StuG's to the total, as they were used extensively as AFV's and this would bring the total for the TR at around 41000 vehicles

And if you figure in the relative losses - how many Shermans or T-55s to take out a Tiger? - the numbers look pretty good for the Germans. :blush:

I don't know any exact figures myself, but proverbially the Cdn,s Brits and US could expect to trade/lose 3-5 Shermans to get one Tiger! :(

Peter

I watched that show on TV where they compare one system to the enemies, and IIRC the rate was 4 Shermans for 1 Tiger, however there were only a few Tigers at any one time. I am at work in the middle of some field and have no books here, but I recall an article where a Nashorn company took out around 21 T34's to a loss of 2 Nashorn's over a couple of days.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Just using my amazing newfound superpowers to post this German photo of an English tank, presumably out of commission. Hopefully someone will take the ball and run with it.

IPB Image

Looks like a teeny weeny picture, but click on it and watch it grow :cool:

I bet you tell all the girls that :P:lol::lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

And if you figure in the relative losses - how many Shermans or T-55s to take out a Tiger? - the numbers look pretty good for the Germans. :blush:

I don't know any exact figures myself, but proverbially the Cdn,s Brits and US could expect to trade/lose 3-5 Shermans to get one Tiger! :(

Peter

Peter :beer:

T34/85 i believe is the correct designation for the Soviet WW2 tanks, t-55 didnt arive till a few years after WW2 ended. :P

Kev in Deva :beer:

The problem for a Tiger though, was not only tanks. With the Allies having air superiority a "Jabo" could just come by and fire a rocket. Scratch one Tiger, sweep up the occupants and bury whats left. The Panzer Lehr Division was destroyed virtually overnight in Normandy by a 1600 bomber raid on its divisional area.

Dan Murphy

Actually the biggest problems for the Tigers wad maintanence! One heavy tank company started a raod march in Italy with 16 tanks and after a distance of 75 kilometers arrived with one operational.

That is just piss poor!

Gary

The problem for a Tiger though, was not only tanks. With the Allies having air superiority a "Jabo" could just come by and fire a rocket. Scratch one Tiger, sweep up the occupants and bury whats left. The Panzer Lehr Division was destroyed virtually overnight in Normandy by a 1600 bomber raid on its divisional area.

Dan Murphy