News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Striped Tiger - help needed

drclaw

I recently purchased this Striped Tiger badge which was advertised by the seller as a rare First Class sash badge.

After receiving it, however, it appears to be a Fourth Class badge.

* While it had three stars at the top, only four of the inner rays are gilded (top, bottom, left and right). This is the same as a Fourth Class badge which has three stars and gilding on only four rays.

The First and Second Classes have gilding on all of the inner circle of silver rays.

* It is less than 70 mm in width whereas the First and Second Class badges are closer to 80 mm.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I'm attaching two photos which show the medal in different light.

Would anyone be able to comment one way or other?

Luckily I paid with Paypal so I'm covered in the event of a dispute.

Well, I'm very happy to report that shortly after posting this, the seller has refunded me some funds through Paypal while I keep the medal.

The end result is I've purchased a Fourth Class medal, albeit on the more expensive side.

It's easy to confuse the First Class and Fourth Class badges given they look so much alike, even more so when this is a very good quality example made by Lao Tian Li, a former Imperial cloissonne master craftsman.

Time and grime had also masked the gilding or lack thereof and It was only after cleaning the medal that it became obvious.

It was an honest and easy mistake by the seller and he has been very decent to resolve it quickly.

Edited by drclaw

Well, I'm very happy to report that shortly after posting this, the seller has refunded me some funds through Paypal while I keep the medal.

The end result is I've purchased a Fourth Class medal, albeit on the more expensive side.

It's easy to confuse the First Class and Fourth Class badges given they look so much alike, even more so when this is a very good quality example made by Lao Tian Li, a former Imperial cloissonne master craftsman.

Time and grime had also masked the gilding or lack thereof and It was only after cleaning the medal that it became obvious.

It was an honest and easy mistake by the seller and he has been very decent to resolve it quickly.

Well done Gavin, 74mm is the smallest I have ever seen a 1st-2nd Striped Tiger, Fourths vary from 64-67mm from my experience. Do you get to keep the sash?

All the best,

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's the sort of information that only comes with years of experience and from handling a large number of examples.

This particular Fourth Class is around 67 mm in width. I have a spare original Striped Tiger ribbon which I'd purchased from Zeljko at Ribbonsshop before Christmas (talk about serendipity) so this displays well.

I offered to return the First Class sash to the seller as a sign of goodwill but he seems more than happy for me to keep the sash. It passes the black light test. And the weave and pattern appears similar to other First Class examples.

I'll be on a look-out now for a proper First Class badge at the next Morton & Eden auction!

Gavin

Edited by drclaw

A previous JOMSA article "The Order of the Striped Tiger of the Republic of China" by James Peterson includes invaluable information on the different Classes.

The Classes are distinguished by one to three small gilt stars placed on the upper metal rays, as well as by the size, suspension and method of wear. The 1st, 4th and 7th Class badges and stars have three stars arranged in a triangle.

The 2nd, 5th and 8th Class badges and stars have two stars arranged vertically, or sometimes horizontally on the breast star.

The 3rd, 6th and 9th Class badges have a single star.

1st Class and 2nd Class badges: 72 mm - 76 mm in diameter, suspended from a wreath, worn from a sash over the right shoulder

3rd Class: 70 - 72 mm in diameter, suspended from the wreathand a plain flat loop, worn on a cravat

4th Class: 68 mm, suspended from a wreath, worn on a badge ribbon

5th Class: 58 - 63 mm, suspended from a wreath, worn on a badge ribbon

6th Class; 53 - 56 mm, suspended fom a wreath, worn on a badge ribbon

7th -8th Class: 50 - 52 mm, suspended from a ring

9th Class: not seen but probably similar

Breast stars of the 1st - 2nd Classes are 80 mm - 96 mm in diameter, the size depending to some extent on the degree of convexity, and are in the form of a the badge without the suspension

Due to various sources of manufacture, the insignia vary somewhat in size, minor details of the medallion, and the length of the rays.

A further detail which Peterson does not mention is that the First, Second and Third Classes have the centre silver rays gilded in their entirety. The Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Classes are only gilded on the top, bottom, left and right sets of rays.

Where specimens have tarnished with time, it is very difficult to distinguish this until after the medal has been cleaned / polished. (one reason for polishing new purchases!)