News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My complete USA medals Display

muckaroon1960

Here is my collection of US medals I now have on display. Most are original unfortunately non are numbered or named but they still look great and I have had great pleasure not only in collecting them but also learning about the history behind the medals and why they were awarded.

The small Stars & Stripes was originally used on staff cars by the USAF at Upper Heyford Airbase England and was given to me by a guy from the 55th Life Support.

You might consider putting them in the proper order of precedence. It'll be a bit of work, but you'd get to play with them while you do it. You can find the order of precedence for US Army medals here: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/order_of_precedence.aspx

When you have comparable medals from each of the services, I'd suggest using the seniority of the services: Army, Marine Corps / Navy , Air Force.

Best,

Hugh

• 4 months later...

Hello. I am from Tokyo, been somewhat? collecting American medals cautiously. It's my first time seen somebody else's treasure/job done! It's simply awesome! magnificent! I've been thinking that collectors most likely go for bars, where it's displayed, attached in bunches. Personally I collect just like you. One at a time, each one special attention given? So I have different opinions. This photo is job well done, very pleasing to look at, enjoy pride of ownership, and go on further. As for me, I don't have that many yet, and like to apologize for sticking my head in. But very pleasant!

Very nice displays - done with skill.

I would like to make a point - perhaps obvious but I'll make it for the record.

Arranging your collection per order of precedence has been recommended and is a worthy idea but... what order of precedence?

The various services have their own so which to chose? Or go by service seniority (Army, USMC, NAVY, USAF, USCG) however this is only part of the problem - do you use period (WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam) or current?

I mention this because (example) after Vietnam, the Purple Heart was "promoted" from just lower than the Commendation Medal to just lower than the Bronze Star Medal.

To my mind, if you where to go to the trouble of rearranging these beautiful displays, perhaps grouping by era and using the applicable order of precedence would be the way to go.

Personally - I'd leave as is and use :which is what and who ranked whom" for discussion during "show & tell".

Thanks for your comments guys, appreciate you taking the time to post yourt houghts on my collection. I have made some changes since the pictures were taken, just moved a few around and like you say I'll leave them as is because thats how I like them.

Went to a militaira and medal show yesterday but there was a lack of US medals and came away empty handed, never mind theres always the next one. :cheers:

Edited by muckaroon1960

Very nice displays - done with skill.

I would like to make a point - perhaps obvious but I'll make it for the record.

Arranging your collection per order of precedence has been recommended and is a worthy idea but... what order of precedence?

The various services have their own so which to chose? Or go by service seniority (Army, USMC, NAVY, USAF, USCG) however this is only part of the problem - do you use period (WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam) or current?

I mention this because (example) after Vietnam, the Purple Heart was "promoted" from just lower than the Commendation Medal to just lower than the Bronze Star Medal.

To my mind, if you where to go to the trouble of rearranging these beautiful displays, perhaps grouping by era and using the applicable order of precedence would be the way to go.

Personally - I'd leave as is and use :which is what and who ranked whom" for discussion during "show & tell".

If it helps, the order of precedence for the Purple Heart was changed in 1985 to place it ahead of the Meritorious Service Medal. As a general rule, combat awards such as the Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc, are worn ahead of non-combat awards such as the Meritorious Service Medal, Commendation and Achievement Medals. Good Conduct Medals of the uniformed services precede the service medals. Service Medals are ordered by the date instituted. On a more modern ribbon bar, the National Defense Service Medal takes precedence ahead of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and over the service medals from Vietnam, the Gulf War, the War on Terror, Iraq, Afghanistan, and any others yet to be issued. The WW2 Service Medals are more confusing, as they're worn in the order in which the individual service member served in particular theaters of operations. My late father was in the Navy for over 20 years, during which he served in all theaters: American, European and Pacific, wearing his ribbons in that order. The WW2 Victory Medal was worn after all WW2 theater medals, but ahead of the Occupation Medals. The Occupation of Germany service medal continued to be awarded until the withdrawal of the Berlin Brigade around 1990, so that one will take precedence ahead of the National Defense Service Medal.

Hello! I'm back here just to make short comment. This is because I'm feeling like in a same boat. I am a Japanese, yes, so kind of having trouble having one also. That is to say, I believe, it's just ordinary matter, but these medals are all for peace purposes, right? And I am a kind of guy that want to take part of/in it. Any kind of commemorative medal were/is fine, and I've done the same as you. It's up on the wall. And maybe the difference is looking at my life, taking action? I'm not in military, is part of human life.

Hzenba2012,

to answer your question about peace or non wartime service:

1) Top Frame is all for War time Service: The Gold star medals is actually called the Silver Star (USA's 3rd highest award for bravery) and the other star medal is called a Bronze Star.

2) 2nd Frame is Mostly Marine Corps (the middle one, if original is a WW2 era Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal=might actually be serial numbered) On the far left as you look at it is a US Army Good Conduct Medal. The far right looks like an American Campaign Medal.

3) Bottom Frame: Bottom row Middle is the Distinguished Flying Cross, then going right the Air Medal, and finally the Purple Heart (all wartime).

Hope this helps.

Hello! Many thanks for wartime. So I should be taking another step with my collection. Which is collecting full time dedication for peace declaration, which is polished, brand new items. This should be greatly enhancing myself and you also.