News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yesterday's ribbon bar find - a brave officer?

Noor

Hi all,

I picked up two great ribbon bars (Irish and Austrian) yesterday. I must say I haven't found so nice bar a long time, especially good (and cheap) Austrian bars in Ireland are not so common at all.

I presume owner of this set was an officer because

- Cross for Military Merit with the swords

- Medal or Military Merit with the swords

- Medal of Military Merit with the swords

- Carl Troop Cross, 1916

- Commemorative Cross for Mobilisation 1912-1913

I presume No. 2 and No.3 can be as well Bravery medals or Merit Crosses?

20308173991842_l.jpg

..the first one is Military Merit Cross with swords 2 times awarded, Nr.2 is Silver and Nr.3 Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) with swords...

Wonderfull piece, congrats (if you ever think of selling it, write me please :) )

Bravery medals surely not - they had no "swords"... :)

Edited by Iver

Thanks guys! Yeah, I tought Military Merit medals as well but wasn't 100% sure what else can be awarded on war ribbon with the Xs!

I will keep you in mind Iver. At the moment this piece will be landing on my display case. :jumping:

Thanks guys! Yeah, I tought Military Merit medals as well but wasn't 100% sure what else can be awarded on war ribbon with the Xs!

The decorations which could be worn on the ribbon of the Bravery Medal (Tapferkeitsmedaille) were:

• Order of Franz Joseph (Franz Joseph-Orden)
    • Military Merit Cross (Militärverdienstkreuz)
    • Military Merit Medal (Militärverdienstmedaille) (so called "Signum laudis") (silver (Silberne MVM) and bronze (Bronzene MVM))
    • Merit Cross (Verdienstkreuz) (six varieties: Goldenes VK mit der Krone, Goldenes VK, Silbernes VK mit der Krone, Silbernes VK, Eisernes VK mit der Krone, Eisernes VK)

All of these could be awarded on the ribbon of the Bravery Medal with or without swords (although the pre-WW1 Military Merit Cross without swords or war decoration is extremely rare). All but the Franz Joseph-Orden could be awarded with the repeat award clasp (Wiederholungsspange). The Wiederholungsspange for the Signum Laudis (silver and bronze) and the Bravery Medal was silver. The Wiederholungsspange for the Military Merit Cross and the Merit Cross was gilt. I don't have my references handy but I recall reading somewhere that the Golden and Iron Merit Crosses with Crown were the only versions of the Merit Cross with a Wiederholungsspange. I don't know why the Silver Merit Cross or the Merit Crosses without Crown wouldn't be able to have one.

I believe the Franz Joseph Orden and the Merit Crosses were more typically awarded to staff, support and technical personnel (FJO for officers and VK for NCOs and the like).

Your bar is likely as you and Iver agree - ÖM3Kg, ÖsMVM, ÖbMVM, KTK, Mob. Cross. The KTK says front-line soldier, and the lack of any bravery medals or a long-service cross rules out the NCO types who might have received multiple Merit Crosses with Swords. And an officer's bar with the FJO is out because that would come first and wouldn't have a Wiederholungsspange.

For a frontline officer, the next award after the ÖM3K and the Signum Laudis was usually the Order of the Iron Crown with War Decoration and Swords, or later in the war the Gold or Large Silver Bravery Medal for officers. Or both:

Foreign officers didn't get the Signum Laudis, so they would get the ÖM3K first, and then maybe an Iron Crown:

All of these could be awarded on the ribbon of the Bravery Medal with or without swords (although the pre-WW1 Military Merit Cross without swords or war decoration is extremely rare). All but the Franz Joseph-Orden could be awarded with the repeat award clasp (Wiederholungsspange).

Well not exactly, according the FJO Status dated to 17th February 1918 3 lowest decorations (knight, officer and commander) could be awarded for second time which was represented by repeat award clasp. Nevertheless I fully agree what was written here. The first bar is for MVK III. Klasse twice awarded...at least it`s most logical.

Well not exactly, according the FJO Status dated to 17th February 1918 3 lowest decorations (knight, officer and commander) could be awarded for second time which was represented by repeat award clasp. Nevertheless I fully agree what was written here. The first bar is for MVK III. Klasse twice awarded...at least it`s most logical.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't know about the 1918 statute. I wish I had my reference books with me.

• 1 month later...

The Wiederholungsspange for the Signum Laudis (silver and bronze) and the Bravery Medal was silver.

I would like also make one correction regarding SIGNUM LAVDIS medal - the first time was awarded medal in bronze the second award was in silver. So called Wiederholungsspange was ONLY for medal in silver. All medals in bronz with it are fakes ;)