News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Memento Mori

Hello Mervyn , hello everybody !

Originally I'm from Torun / Poland --> ex. Thorn in Westpreussen from family with mixed Polish -German roots and tradition ( most of my family ) which also somehow influenced / affected me directing to collecting and researching and just being passionate about military history , some art and history in general in it's many different aspects . .....sounds scary ? - please don't be fooled ;) , I'm not as good and/or professional as many of you are , I just want express at least my emotional relation to the subject .

I'm fascinated with Imperial German Army also because most of my ancestors used to serve there . Most of my mom's family members also served in German Army during the Second World War , very few not .

I don't want to kill you guys with some boring family stories - even if they fascinating or emotional for me , but they don't have this kind of sensational potential as many you can read in military history books about ( maybe only some for me ) . we can continue this conversation but perhaps on PM or drinking cup of good tea or single malt if we can meet some when , somewhere ....

best regards

Kornel

ps. I live in NY and thanks god we have still relatively warm - at least I'm still swimming in the ocean sometimes as the only person on the beach ...

Thankyou Kornel for those background details. Because Forums are very impersonal it is always good to know a little about the people

we are writing to. The tragedy of ww2 was it split Countries and families. Yours fought within the German sector - whereas thousands

of Poles fled to Britain to serve in the British Forces. Many have settled and never returned to Poland - industrious and respected people.

Strangely - the largest number of Foreigners in Britain at present are Polish - under the European Union they are allowed to travel and work,

and many, many thousands are in Britain to earn enough for a home when they return to Poland. Mervyn

Kornel - I think ..........

Stuka - your friend makes these from small scrap metal - absolutely amazing ! When I had the shop we would often take the works out of broken

pocket watches to scrap - people were always coming in to buy the works and I was told they were usually broken down and montages made.

My mention of Robin - was Robin Lumsden, one of our senior members. He collects anything to do with military sculls and crossed bones. I think

he posted earlier on this thread. Mervyn

Hey Mervin,

the guy is very talented. He doe's the guilding on antique bronze ornaments mainly,.for a living down in the south of France.

-When you say "I had the shop", could I ask what kind of buisiness you were in ?

-Yes I met (virtualy!) Robin and loves his collection, skulls and bones are a weak spot to me too.Or should I say a dark side (lol!!)

cheers

|<ris

Hello Mervyn , hello everybody !

Originally I'm from Torun / Poland --> ex. Thorn i....

I just want express at least my emotional relation to the subject .

I'm fascinated with Imperial German Army also because most of my ancestors used to serve there . Most of my mom's family members also served in German Army during the Second World War , very few not .

I don't want to kill you guys with some boring family stories - even if they fascinating or emotional for me , but they don't have this kind of sensational potential as many you can read in military history books about ( maybe only some for me ) . we can continue this conversation but perhaps on PM or drinking cup of good tea or single malt if we can meet some when , somewhere ....

best regards

Kornel

ps. I live in NY and thanks god we have still relatively warm - at least I'm still swimming in the ocean sometimes as the only person on the beach ...

Hey Kornel,

we should continue thise conversation , one way or the other!

I had my parents family standing on different sides during WWII.Mum's site collaboreted with the Germans, my father family didn't, but that was long before Mum and Dad met!

cheers

|<ris

Hey Kornel,

we should continue thise conversation , one way or the other!

I had my parents family standing on different sides during WWII.Mum's site collaboreted with the Germans, my father family didn't, but that was long before Mum and Dad met!

cheers

|<ris

I'm definitely positive about it Kris !

best regards

Kornel

I agree - the different stories of families on opposing sides would make fascinating reading. This would apply to nearly every Country -

from Britain in the 16th Century , when the King was executed, to the American War of Independence and the Civil War.

Probably for now it would be better to start with WW2 - let me ask Nick where he would consider we post these stories ? This section is

not suitable. Mervyn

Kornel and Kris. I have discussed with senior admin. a possible position for a discussion on family members on different sides in WW1 and 2 .

We think that the the WW2 Forum will be the best place - and to start, deal with your families and their experiences during WW2.

Please let me know if you are both prepared to write some articles and keep some interesting information going ? I don't want to start and

then find we have no posts. Best wishes Mervyn

Hello Friends !

Unfortunately at the moment I'm only prepared for WW I family story only as I already made small contribution to the thread started by somebody else " close and far relatives during Great War " in another forum . that's the only picture I have on me in US , the most of my family pictures, some documents and memorabilia are in my parents house in Poland ... few more WW I and all WW II related . I'm not sure if I'll go this coming summer there , since my son was here short time ago .

I'm able and willing to participate ,but WW II family history without any "attachments" may be totally uninteresting for you gents - please tell me what do you think about it .

As I said I can make kind of contribution to WW I family stories , which I can document with few photographs I brought with me last time visiting my parents and my son ( these photos are not so spectacular as some from our collections , rather very regular , but as family ones ....) .

best friendly regards

Kornel

Same thing here about the pic's ; nothing exeptional to collector's documentation! And I also need to get them, my parents live much closer, but getting the pictures might not be easy at thise momment!!

cheers

|<ris