News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified WW2 Heer / Waffen SS / Polizei Signatures

Fritz Gustav Georg, *2.3.1895 in Eckarstberg, Kreis Goldap, son of Landschaftsrat and Maj.d.L.a.D. Hans Knopff.

Dienstlaufbahn: 27.6.14 Fahnenjunker, Pi.Btl. 1, 27.1.15 Fähnrich, 18.4.15 Leutnant, 9.4.20 verabschiedet, 16.8.20 char. Oberleutnant a.D.; 1.8.34 Hptm.a.D., Kdtr. Insterburg (RDA 1.6.34), 5.3.35 Hptm.(E), 21.8.36 mit d. 1.9.36 zu d. aktiv. Truppenoffizierkorps übergeführt als Hptm., Pi.Btl. 1 (RDA 1.12.33), 1.10.38 Major, 10.11.38 Kdr. Pi.Btl. 37 (laut Stellenbesetzung), 1.9.39-11.10.42 Kdr. Pz.Pi.Btl. 37, 1.9.41 Oberstleutnant, 12.10.42-24.12.42 Lazarettaufenthalt, 25.12.42-11.4.43 Führerreserve OKH, 1.4.43 Oberst, 12.4.43-15.9.43 Kdr. Gren.Rgt. 119 (mot.), 16.9.43 Führerreserve OKH, 1.10.43-30.7.44 Höh.Pz.Pi.Offz. V, 1.8.44 Armee-Pion.Führer PzAOK 5, 12.11.44 Führerreserve OKH, 20.12.44 m.d.W.d.G. d. Kdt. v. Brabant beauftr.

Auszeichnungen: EK2 (6.5.15), EK1 (4.4.18), Verwund.Abz. i. schwarz (1918), Dienstauszeichnung 4.Kl. (2.10.36), Spange z. EK2 (27.9.39), Spange z. EK12 (5.12.39), Allg. Sturmabz. (15.9.41), Deutsches Kreuz in Gold (24.12.41), Ostmedaille (1.8.42)

Not great quality, since it's a digital photo of a crappy NARA microfilm reader:

Knopff, Fritz.jpg

I tried this one in another forum but should have come here. If anyone can offer some suggestions on the top left signature I would be very appreciative. He is a Hauptmann and almost certainly a company commander in the Grossdeutschland Wachtbataillon Berlin. Signature is dated August 1944. As I understand it, all of the company commanders in this battalion were expected to be RK winners.

I thought the first letter was C, H or S. Perhaps ending "etz?" The signature is trailed by "Hptm."

For interest, the other signatures are: 

left 2nd - Lt. Siebert (Remer's ADC)

left 3rd - Lt. Arnds (CO of GD platoon cordoning Bendlerblock on July 20)

left 4th - unknown staffer for von Stockhausen

right top - Olt. Hausmann (company commander and RK)

right 2nd - Hptm. Schlee (Company CO and RK with oakleaves - Commanded Arnds and Schady; Olt. on July 20)

right 3rd - Lt. Schady (commanded Stauffenberg's firing squad July 21, 1944)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ColinRF

Unfortunately my listing of Wachbataillon/regiment GD officer's doesn't contain anything that looks similar but I might have another example of his signature while an Oberleutnant & Kompaniechef of 5./Wachbataillon GD and dated for July 1943.

KLÜGE 015.jpg

Hi Hucks. I would say its him. Very similar.

Strangely your prior message suggesting Hptm von Heinitz has not appeared in this thread, at least notbon my machine. But I got an email notification that you had posted the suggestion with the content.

Many thanks for taking the time to chase this for me.

Colin

2 minutes ago, ColinRF said:

Strangely your prior message suggesting Hptm von Heinitz has not appeared in this thread, at least notbon my machine. But I got an email notification that you had posted the suggestion with the content.

Many thanks for taking the time to chase this for me.

Colin

I deleted/hid that post as I was incorrect. After posting that suggestion I realised I had an example of his signature in my files and it looks completely different so didn't want to send you down the wrong path.

Edited by hucks216

Ah I see. So is the photo above Heinitz or someone else....because to my eye it fits. Maybe I am forcing it though. Not exactly the same but certainly some common elements. The slope, the letter that looks like an "a" mid signature, especially the break before the "t", the trauiling period etc.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ColinRF

I would say that it fits. Your example seems to be a more neater signature whereas mine is a more hurried 'admin' signing example.

I'm not sure if it is true that all Kompaniechef of Wachbataillon/regiment GD were RK holders. In a Soldbuch to a member of that unit (from which the above signature comes from) there is a signature of another Kompaniechef of 5.Kp dated for February 1943 and it clearly reads Kose and no-one with that name is listed in the RK lists.

Plus a Leutnant Görlitz commanded Ehrenkompanie Schloss Laeken (a sub-unit of Wachbtl GD) and he isn't listed either.

Edited by hucks216

I agree in the hurried vs careful signature theory. I was thinking the same.

I looked and Heinitz was not an RK holder. I got that little reference from AHF where someone recollected Remer saying all his officers were RK holders but that clearly was not the case for platoon commanders.

Again, very appreciative of your help.

123.jpg

I'm wondering if it starts with a 'B'. Generalmajor Baade, Generalmajor Fritz Becker and a few others have a similar way of starting their signature as shown in your example.

This is von Heynitz's signature, hence why I deleted my post about it being him. Notice how he is a Hauptmann in June 1943 but the other signature is an Oberleutnant one month later...

Heynitz, von.jpg

Edited by hucks216

Damn! But you agree the two signers you have drawn the lines between are the same? Out curiosity, what is the dicument you excerpted the signature from?

The perils of trying to ID junior officers.

6 minutes ago, ColinRF said:

Damn! But you agree the two signers you have drawn the lines between are the same? Out curiosity, what is the dicument you excerpted the signature from?

The perils of trying to ID junior officers.

I agree that the two signers are the same man, one year (and one rank) apart. The document that bears 'my' signature is a Soldbuch I have to a soldier who served in Wachbataillon Berlin/GD for 2 years.

In my files I have over 200 GD-related signature examples and I also have various self-compiled spreadsheet lists for GD officers down to Kompanie level (and in some cases Zug level) from 1939 to 1945 but unfortunately there is very little 'out there' to help compile such lists for Wachbataillon/regiment GD. I'm sure there must be stuff in the archives that could help with that particular GD sub-unit but I've no idea where.

Edited by hucks216

Thanks Hucks. Appreciate your assist and sorry to misunderstand your "Heinitz" mesage. I thought you had discounted him and then reversed yourself upon finding the Soldbuch signature.

I will continue the search, perhaps assuming this fellow is an RK. I will try your "B" suggestion and let you know by PM what, if anything, I come up with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

who is this Graf (=count) ? His name is for me difficult to decipher.........

Thanks, Rossano

P.S.: I mistakingly posted it in other topics too.......

0237b.jpg

Edited by Rossano

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone be able to fill in the gaps for this Hauptmann please. He is listed in Offizierstellenbesetzung 03.01.1939 as Hauptmann Moenting with 2./Artillerie-Regiment 30 but after that I can not find any details.

In the 1941 DAL there is one Moenting listed as a Major, and again listed in 1944 as an Oberst with a pre-war assignment of Kdtr Prag so I am not sure that this is the same person.

The only person listed in Volksbund with that name is a 57 year old female (poor Else) killed in 1945 and there is no 'Moenting' listed as having won the DKiG, RK or Ehrenblattspange.

Any details would be gratefully received.

A) signed by Moenting.jpg

Edited by hucks216

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this could be the signature of a Freiherr von Salmuth (as listed in Offizierstellenbesetzung 03.01.1939). Can anyone confirm if this is correct and if so are there any further details on him please?

POSS Frhr von Salmuth.jpg

4 hours ago, hucks216 said:

I believe this could be the signature of a Freiherr von Salmuth (as listed in Offizierstellenbesetzung 03.01.1939). Can anyone confirm if this is correct and if so are there any further details on him please?

POSS Frhr von Salmuth.jpg

Salmuth, Hans-Joachim Hermann Ludwig Richard Ernst Freiherr v., *2.7.1891 in Hannover, †2.2.1945 in Berlin.

Served in World War I with UR 1 and JRzP 5. Reactivated in 1935 in what would become WBK Berlin III (WMA Charlottenburg), and transferred to WMA Weißensee on 1.8.37, and to WMA Lichtenberg on 1.8.39.  Major on 1.11.38, Oberstleutnant on 1.4.42, Oberst on 30.1.45. 1.11.40-30.6.42 in the Kriegswissenschaftl.Abt. d. Gen.St.d.Heeres, and from 2.7.42 to his death in the Kriegsgeschichtl.Abt. d. Heeres.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi people, I'm struggling with this one. I make it to be Major Haring, but can't find anything on him. Was he a DKiG winner? Stewy

123.JPG

Edited by hucks216

Thanks Kev I thought it was Haring, but I've really struggled to find much on him. I knew, if it was indeed him that he won the DKiG. Even Google didn't give me that much info. I'll add it to the signature DB. Kind regards, Stewy

• 2 weeks later...

I have two signatures in my GD items that crop up very regularly but have so far denied all attempts to identify them to any degree. I can't work out what he letters are, or when I think I can I then doubt it and think it is something else and I have so far been unable to link my attempts with names in my GD officer database and to the 1942 GD Kriegsrangliste.

Can anyone work out what the names are or have a best guess as to what the names are for which I would be grateful?

The first example is for an officer in GD's Ersatz organisation: Is it 'Diag__' or does it start with an 'A' or something else? There was a Hans-Joachim Doege but this is not his signature which is already in the GMIC Signature Database. Hopefully someone can work it out.:

CREMER 009.jpgZZ GD Unknown (16).jpg

The second example is for a member of Pz.Rgt GD and served in a number of positions although I have never seen his name as a Kompanie-Chef or such like - always as Adjutant or Ord.Offz.

ZZ GD Unknown (3a).jpgZZ GD Unknown (3b).jpg

Edited by hucks216