News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Observer Grouping

Hello to all,

Here is a small Luftwaffe document grouping to Unteroffizier Erich Nath that I purchased at the SOS this past weekend. The grouping has his documents for the Luftwaffe Observer Badge and EK1, plus his D.L.R.G. Grundschein from 1934.

Best regards,

Tom

The Observer Badge document has the facsimile signature of General der Flieger Kastner-Kirdorf:

Nice little set. There are two Erich Nath's listed on the Volksbund site but the date of births do not match so he may well of survived the war (unless he is one of the many not listed in the database obviously).

Hello Hucks,

Thanks for checking that. :cheers: I had also checked in the war graves records and found the two listings for Erich Nath. If I remember correctly, both were younger than my guy and one was KIA in 1944 and the other in 1945.

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

That is a nice sweet little grouping. Congrats! I am glad to see that you were able to obtain a photo of the recipient in one of the documents.

Thanks, Paul!

It is always nice to put a face with the name on these document groupings. I wonder what other awards this guy had? Obviously, since he had the EK1 he also had an EK2, but what else did this guy have?????

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

• 6 months later...

D.L.R.G. Grundschein:

Dear All,

I'm Vytautas Nath (Naty's) I was born and now live in Lithuania. This man is my great-grandfather from the father's side. At the end of World War II, my grandmother did not have time to pull back from East Prussia to Germany, leaving the Soviet-occupied Lithuania. Then there was born my father and I have.

We have for many years searched for a document proving that Erich Nath, born in Gdansk (Danzig in German), was my great-grandfather. From Bundesmilitärarchiv we only received information that Erich Nath was killed in 1944 in the Czech Republic. No further information, just dry answer.

My grandmother is still alive and it is a big surprise for her. According to the picture, it is confirmed that it is her uncle.

Thank you very much!

Regards from Vilnius.

• 3 years later...

Hello tyanacek,

I am not so sure whether the member from Lithuania who answered in 2012, and who has the same family name as I is right in his assumption.

My father's family being natives of Danzig who had been residing in this city since the 1870ies had to flee from the advancing Russian troops in March 1945. Actually I can confirm 100% that I am related to the Erich Nath to whom the documents in this thread are attributed. Erich Nath was my father's cousin.

Erich Nath was flying in Junkers JU-87. Later in the war, he was commissioned as Leutnant. He died in 1997 in Augsburg.

I only met him once in the 1960ies. As my further family was dispersed all across Germany, some of the male mebers returning after years from imprisonment as POWs in the USSR, there are only few details I know about him, the last of which I was able to confirm with one of the last family members from his generation only yesterday.

14 hours ago, D-AQUI said:

Hello tyanacek,

I am not so sure whether the member from Lithuania who answered in 2012, and who has the same family name as I is right in his assumption.

Based on the details held in Volksbund, it would of been another Erich Nath.

• 5 years later...

It is five years on, but in the meantime I have done a lot of family research.

Just to add some more clarification on the discussion about the documents relating to Erich Nath's documents that have been displayed in the thread above: My great grandfather has been residing in Danzig, Wallgasse 3a, from the early 1920ies until 1945, as stated in the DLRG-documents of the Erich Nath in question. Erich Nath has been a nephew of my grandfather.

I have no information where Erich Nath has served as a P.O.W., but given the fact that his documents have found their way to the U.S., one can assume that he must have been captured by the western allies.