News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with translation - post WWI document award

Hi,

This documment is part of a WWI veteran documments group that i recently added to my collectio.

As far as my limited knowledge of German language goes, it is a certificate issued by the military authority in Oldenburg saying that:

- Decorations ceased after Grand Duke abdication in 1918

- As a native of Oldenburg that was awarded with the Prussian EKII during the war, he was also entitled to be awarded with the Oldenburg Friedrich August Kreuz 2nd Class.

- However, the medal itself could not be delivered as the stocks run out.

Is this correct?

As I said this is part of a nice little medal and documment group that I intend to post here. It also came with his Militarpass, and I definitively will need help to translate.

Thanks in advance!

Douglas.

Edited by Douglas Jr.

I think your translation is basically correct, although I read it maybe as a little less firm. GM von Jordan is not saying he was definitely entitled, since the right to make awards was gone, but that he certainly ought to be entitled, and there was no objection to his applying for it, but as you say, the cross itself could not be delivered because of lack of stocks. I hate to say this, since I am a lawyer, but to me it comes across as kind of lawyerly: "you can go and get yourself the cross and wear it, because you earned it, but if anyone asks, i technically didn't award it to you, I just acknowledged that you earned it."

Also, it's not technically from the military authority in Oldenburg, since that didn't exist in 1922, but the former military authority. Moritz von Jordan was the last Flügeladjutant to the Grand Duke of Oldenburg, and continued to act as his aide after the war.

"- As a native of Oldenburg that was awarded with the Prussian EKII during the war, he was also entitled to be awarded with the Oldenburg Friedrich August Kreuz 2nd Class."

Veeeery interesting..

I take the spirit to be more along the lines of..."There are no more awards... but you have the EK2... so waht the hell... you might as well wear the other as well..."

This right was NOT automatically confered... I have a couple of these groups where you can see it was a seperate award. If he was meant to have gotten it automatically... he would have in the war!!!

Oh, it is more interesting than I thought.

Thanks a lot for your comments (I'm a lawyer too, and got your point)!

And, to your knowledge he went ahead, and got himself an Oldenburg FA Cross.

Below is his medal bar.

By the way: what is his full name: HANS JOHANN (????) DÄHN - "August", maybe???

Douglas.