News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Order of Medjidie - what period ?

David

I have been looking to acquire a 4th class Order of Medjidie of Ottoman manufacture from the 1870s for some time now but I haven't come across any where the seller has given an indication of the period of manufacture, other than Crimean. This suggests that it's very difficult to tell.

Can anyone give some pointers as to what I would expect to see on the Order that I am looking for (conversely, what I shouldn't expect to see !).

Just as an example, I've attached photos of one that Liverpool medals have for sale now. To me, it looks like a 4th class of Ottoman make but has a feel about it that suggests more modern manufacture, 1900s perhaps. Any advice/comment gratefully received.

Best wishes

DavidL20529-D1.jpg

L20529.jpg

Hello ,

To determine the exact date is impossible.

But What I can say is this one which you attached the images is the one which was made after the Crimean war period. ( WHAT I MEAN IS , IN CHRONICLE ORDER , THIS ONE IS MADE AFTER THE CRIMEAN TYPE MEDJIDIES ! )

It is earlier then 1900 , later then 1860 .

It is NOT the ones in and after 1900s .

Hope it helps ,

AVSAR IBAR

Thanks very much, Avsar. Am I right in thinking that there is a hallmark on the reverse which confirms that it was Turkish made ? Would this help to date the order at all or did this stay the same ?

Best wishes

David

Edited by David

Dear David ,

You are welcome .

Yes, as you mentioned , that mark on the reverse is Turkish Mint Mark , and it means that this is a Turkish made one .

After 1900s the mint mark still exists but it changed the size and became more smaller in diameter .

Best Wishes ,

Avsar Ibar

Hello Avsar, greetings to you!

Thanks for that very interesting information, especially the point that after the 1900s, the mint mark changed in size in became much smaller.