News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting variation of Special Membership Red Cross Medal

JapanX

• 1 month later...

Here is another example, note the crudeness of the back of the grip, resembles a big blob of solder! Can't be that, so must be poor quality control/inspection (if there was any) when they made this one. I like it though, gives it character! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Check this piece also ;)

http://www.antiquesw...Cross-Medal.htm

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. ... and I recently saw this (so typical for red curdboard boxes) medal (with this spreading clamp) in classical black lacquered box ...

I contend that this is an earlier, Taisho-era medal slapped into a later issue box! Not original to each other.

I contend that this is an earlier, Taisho-era medal slapped into a later issue box! Not original to each other.

Why I am not surprised ... :lol:

As for instability: this red cardboard box couldn't be exclusively associated with only one type of the medal ;)

As for instability: this red cardboard box couldn't be exclusively associated with only one type of the medal ;)

Well, not EXACTLY one type of medal, but I think safe to say - postwar no doubt, typically aluminum with appointments of lesser quality/cheaper materials in general. Interestingly, you do find specimens with both the very simple non-safety pin attachment device, as well as the safety pin type (one you have shown) and this one in my collection - perhaps from a time when the safety pin attachment was reintroduced, represnting a somewhat later piece? That, or there were different makers, some of which used safety pins, some of which used the non-safety type across the same time periods, but I do not subscribe to this "theory" myself. ;)

... but I think safe to say - postwar no doubt, typically aluminum with appointments of lesser quality/cheaper materials in general.

Red box - 95% probability that inside is an shiny aluminum medal ...

Interestingly, you do find specimens with both the very simple non-safety pin attachment device, as well as the safety pin type (one you have shown) and this one in my collection - perhaps from a time when the safety pin attachment was reintroduced, represnting a somewhat later piece?

Or visa versa :lol: