News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prince of Wales and King Alphonso lll postcard

Markus

Picked up a postcard with Prince of Wales ( King George V, before his accession to throne) and King Alfonso VIII of Spain. Postcard has 1902 postmark. King Alfonso was born in 1886, so in this portrait, assuming the portrait was taken in 1902, he was 16 years old at the time. Thanks Odulf in helping me sort out that this was King George V.

Edited by Markus

Are you sure that it is the later King Edward VII? Edward was quite an elderly man when he became king.

To my opinion, this is the later King George V, who was also named Prince of Wales before his coronation in 1910.

He gained the title Pince of Wales when his father Edward VIII was crowned in 1902.

The King of Spain is Alfonso XIII (1886-1941), who became king (in name) at birth (Infant King) and assumed Head of State in 1902.

see also: http://william-silvester.suite101.com/king-alfonso-xiii-a82132

Edited by Odulf

Are you sure that it is the later King Edward VII? Edward was quite an elderly man when he became king.

To my opinion, this is the later King George V, who was also named Prince of Wales before his coronation in 1910.

He gained the title Pince of Wales when his father Edward VIII was crowned in 1902.

The King of Spain is Alfonso XIII (1886-1941), who became king (in name) at birth (Infant King) and assumed Head of State in 1902.

see also: http://william-silvester.suite101.com/king-alfonso-xiii-a82132

Thanks Odulf for your help in sorting out the ID's on this postcard!

Markus

see also: http://william-silve...nso-xiii-a82132

It is definitely George V as Prince of Wales. In fact Alfonso XIII was king prior to his birth (thankfully they didn't perform a coronation ceremony then). I didn't realise that George V was so short as Alfonso wasn't on the tall side

Paul