News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canada - Cadet Medal of Bravery Awarded

This medal is rarely awarded. Only 18 medals have been awarded since it's inception 61 years ago.

It has been more than two years since Warrant Officer First Class Grant took action, and last week the member of the Air Cadet Squadron 861 Silverfox in Abbotsford was presented with the Cadet Medal of Bravery from the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. He received the honour for his “outstanding valour as an air cadet, involving the risk of his own life to save others and maintain their well-being.” The incident took place Oct. 10, 2009 in Fort Langley. Then only 16, Grant and his fellow cadets were helping with the local cranberry festival, unloading and loading trolley buses, which were parked on an incline and filled with people. The bus Grant was helping to load suddenly began to roll on its own, with no driver inside. “The brakes failed. I heard a snapping, odd sound and suddenly the bus was moving,” he said. Knowing there were passengers on board, Grant moved quickly. “I just hopped on the bus and looked down at the pedals.” At that time, he didn’t have a driver’s licence and didn’t know which pedal was which. He chose correctly and managed to bring the bus to a stop long enough for the driver to catch up and take over. When he looked up, all 35 people on the bus were just staring at him. Read the complete story: http://www.langleyti.../142468985.html

Here is a link showing a picture of the medal, along with write-up on previous recipients: http://www.armycadet...alofBravery.htm

Jean-Paul

Edited by JPL

Very nice, and thanks for the link to the recipient's site. I was a cadet for 5 years, instructed them for 22 more and didn't even know this award existed...

I can understand this award in the 50s and 60s... But you kind of wonder why it isn't outright replaced by the Medal of Bravery (or higher) of our present awards system open to all citizens regardless of age...?!?

Edited by TacHel